Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Keegan, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I have several patches of nimbleweed (I think) throughout my front lawn which is mostly sunny. The rest of the grass is a mixture. Right now it is still brown but will green up soon. Every year it seems to expand. Out all of my customers I am the only one with this problem.

How can I get rid of this? Did it all out and re-seed?
    It looks like it is loaded with seed heads now.

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Nimblewill is a pain in the butt. I have used Roundup and BurnOut and it still can come back eventually after slice seeding. I think the best way to kill it is tilling because of it's thin root system, but that's not very practical. On the chemical side, Tenacity might be out sometime this year for residential, but that is labeled for Nimblewill.
  3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Tilling is probably not a good idea Natty given it can vegetatively reproduce.
  4. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

Small enough patches to dig out?
  5. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

sod cutter:)

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sod cutter dont get the roots on that crap
  7. starry night

starry night LawnSite Silver Member

bottle bomb
  8. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah it is very apparent this time of year, it is gray/brown while the turf is starting to get green, you don't notice it as much as it warms up

Organic way - maybe burn out or fire then out compete it with turf seed

other way - glyophosphate and then out compete it with tuf seed
  9. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

If you tilled or de-sodded (spelling*) and re-seeded the area wouldn't the grass out compete the weed? I understand the area may be too large, however laying thick sod would probably just cover the weeds up from sun light and also create a physical barrier.

Of course glyphosate could be used also before physical removal.

Does nimbleweed seed itself prolifically or are runners (rhizomes and stolons) responsible for most of the mess?...Or is it both? Could pre-m help stop the plant from spreading to the rest of the yard?

Tilling should be avoided if possible because it destroys the soil horizons and everything living underground beneficial (insects, microbes, etc.). Disturbing soil also surfaces more weed seeds, which during the spring is a no no.:nono:
  10. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

Also, I heard someone recommend low dose ( half mix or more ) of weed b gone maybe 4 or 5 times over about a month could slowly poison the plant without burning out the top foliage.

To get a complete kill you prob need to resort to a systemic.

And for the actual product Burnout, that would probably kill just the top stuff leaving the roots still intact and full of stored nutrients.