1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Nimblewill- Only Glyphosphate?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Whitey4, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

I finally identified a grass-like weed that is on quite a few of my cutsomer's properies. Nimblewill, a weed that is similar to Bermuda grass. From what I've gathered so far, the only way to get rid of it, since it is herbicide resistant is to use a non-selective herbicide, like glyphosphate, and patch seed the area later.

Is this the only treatment option? I have some lawns that are just over run with the stuff... these are properties I picked up late in the season last year. Seems to do well in moist partially shaded areas. Areas with full sun don't seem affected. I don't want this weed to spread on my equipment to other porperties, so getting rid of it is a must in my opinion. So, is it glyphosphate or nothing? TIA.
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Pretty much gly or nothing for Nimblewill!

I am not sure as I will have to check...but Tenacity might take it out (but it isn't on the market right yet, but will be this spring).

Also you mention shade and moist areas...I also see a ton of it out in full sun also. I have several customers where a lot of their lawn in Nimblewill, but they don't want to do anything about it. So I just fert and keep the weeds out of it and they treat it like a KYB, PR or TTTF lawn. Stuff turns like straw in the heat of the summer (OR I SHOULD SAY DROUGHT). Light a match and it would be GONE!
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but if you spray the area then you have a bare spot where more weeds are likely to grow long before the fresh seed takes hold, I think you'd be better off overseeding heavily every fall and let that take over in a natural way, might take 2-3 years but I just don't believe in spraying that kind of stuff anywhere there exists desired plant life, but that's just me.
  4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the replies. My strategy will be to perhaps get some fall lawn renovations where it is pretty bad.... that includes my own front lawn. It comes up in very spotty patches, and alot of them. Looks awful. Some of these lawns have nut sedge to boot. Lots of things, like SedgeHammer aren't legal here. The over regulation of herbicides may actually lead towards more big renovation jobs. I can see me getting a fair number of sodding jobs here. I'm not really set up for that, but do have two guys I can subcontract with for jobs that big. One guy has a dump.

For customers that don't want a renovation, I will try overseeding with. thanks for the replies.
  5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

While at the ISU field day this summer, we learned that another land-grant university is working on a product that kills it without harming Kentucky bluegrass. I can't remember who it is or when the herbicide will be available.