Nimblewill question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mower_babe, Apr 10, 2005.

1. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

Hi. We have been around awhile, but just started w fert/weed control. I have a question that I have run into a dead end with. Nimblewill (Muhlenbergia schreberi) is a pain around here. I have done ALOT of researching on it and all I can come up with tells me I am SOL. "Do not fert in summer. No pre-emerg - no selective post emerg...Replace w new sod or dig out and seed..."

Have you guys found ANYTHING that helps w this crap. I have seen it start out as a 3' X 3' patch and take over the entire yard. I have seen people slit seed appropriate grass seed in it and it looks dumb and continues to grow. You guys got anything for me??? :blob1: :blob1:

2. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

i have been told that fusalade will control it.
    though i have never tried it myself.

i have a buddy that has a bluegrass/rye/fescue lawn and has had success with fusalade....multiple applications at a very light rate so as to not harm desirable turf.

if you try it...i'd suggest a test on a small area before going crazy on the entire lawn.

lots o luck

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

There is testing under way at several universities using mesotrione to control nimblewill, dallisgrass and crabgrass in lawns. No label name selected yet, and it may be a couple of years away from marketing, even if it is proven a good control. We were told last summer at Purdue that mesotrione does look good for those three. Mesotrione is now only for ag use. At present there is no selective control for nimblewill.

Best control now is Roundup early in summer when it starts actively growing, watch for a couple of months for regrowth and retreatment, then seed in early fall (C3 areas). I'm not treating any now - I'm just waiting to see how mesotrione comes out. I redid a good portion of my front yard a year and a half ago, because I had spots of nimblewill getting started.

And with that, I will say farewell, folks. I was going to wait to post 2000, but 1971 was a good year. Graduated from college and my second son was born in '71. I'm not leaving the business - I never will. But I'm giving up on Internet forums. I've looked for almost 15 years, first on bulletin boards, then newsgroups, then on this forum's predecessor sites, for a way to communicate with others in the trade. I'm sure now that forums are not the way to communicate.

There is so much info here that is just buried. Not intended as a slap at you, mower_babe (so many here just shoot from the hip, and we can all get sucked into that), but as an example: a search on "nimblewill" gets 15 threads, and two of those threads, going back as far as 1½ years, discuss testing of mesotrione as a control for nimblewill. It's just not worth it to post useful info here, because it is rarely used again, and people will repeatedly ask the same questions. I looked to the forums as a place to learn, but in my 5½ years on forums, I have learned much less than I did from Tim, a ******** man who was my first employee, in 1 year. So much bandwidth here is wasted by those who believe their way is the only way, and the heck with scientific principles.

The first couple of years of LawnSite was great, but it is now sliding further into repetition, drivel and ego battles, from my perspective. If management doesn't delete my sig line, I can still be reached through that link. Farewell.

4. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks lawnservice!

Before I post, I most always do a search. If memory serves(which is shaky), the last time that this was discussed was in Sept and Dec of 04. I just thought that with as fast as technology moves, maybe some one would have made some more lee way with something in the last 4-8mos. That is why I turned to you guys - a virtual encyclopaedia at my disposal.

In fact, last night I also did a search on Talpirid and found tons of useful opinions that saved me from posting and waiting for responses.

"The first couple of years of LawnSite was great, but it is now sliding further into repetition, drivel and ego battles, from my perspective." I agree with that statement 100%, and am not on here as often as I once was for that reason. But, you must take the good with the bad and ignore the nincumpoops that flood the market anymore.

Thank you very much and good luck to you Jim! I have always found your posts to be helpful.