1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

NineBark Shrub Problem

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GravelyGuy, Sep 4, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I planted three of these shrubs on a large hill a couple of weeks ago for a customer and they called me back today and they said that they are not doing very well. I have not went to look at them yet, but they said that they look wilted. They said that they have watered them plenty and all of the other plants that I planted are doing well.

The Ninebarks were planted on a large hill that faces the East. Any ideas?

I will go check them out tommorow and get some pics for you. My first concern would be lack of customer watering, but they said that the other planting are doing fine.
  2. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

Powdery mildew is big on ninebark
  3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Sounds like a watering problem, as the they are newly planted material on a hillside (what are the soil conditions?). I'm curious as to how hot the weathers been in Indiana?

Which cultivar(s) did you plant? 'Diablo' and 'Dart's Gold' are a great combo.
  4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Are they rapped in burlap or were they watered into the surrounding soil? Sounds like they were far away, but a soaker hose works well for keeping the rootzone moist.
    "Watered well" is a relative term. Soaking the roots and spraying the leaves and allowing periods of drying.
  5. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

The soil allowed good drainage. I think I may have figured it out. The customer said that they had been watering the plantings with a sprinkler. I bet she watered them when it was really hot and sunny and the leaves may have been burned. Either way, I don't think that the plants are going to die.

No, they were not burlapped, just 2.5 gallon pots.