1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Nipples vs. Male Adapters

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Feb 10, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Was doing a little reading and came across the following on the Hunter website under their technical notes for the ICV valves.

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Use a ss fitting valve.

3. PurpHaze

LOL... The Hunter ICV is a commercial valve and doesn't come in a slip version. It's not intended for "dinky" systems. :laugh:

4. PurpHaze

Here's an area at one of our high schools that we'll need to take care of after it dries out a little (isolation valve was shut down Thursday). All the valves were installed with MA's instead of SCH 80 TOE nipples that were specified in the original contract. All the MA's on the pressure side are leaking as they just can't take the stress of a large commercial system. This will make 30+ valves that will have already been repaired on this 4-year-old system.

EDHS Leak South of Building #3 IV-01.jpg

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What makes Hunter believe that machined nipples possess uniformity? Something missing here. (like the amount of teflon tape needed to make up for differences in threads)

What size valves are being replaced on that crummy system?

6. PurpHaze

Actually, Hunter recommends the use Teflon pipe dope instead of Teflon tape.

Three of them are 1-1/2" valves and one is a 2" valve.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Tape is quicker. I could see using compatible pipe dope on the larger valves, though. I still don't take every word from Hunter as irrigation gospel.

8. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Purp, I prefer nipples on large valve installations too. But have many valves installed (before I made a switch) using male adapters, and they have been in the ground for over 25 yrs. And properly installed fittings will last indefinately. Key words - properly installed.

Biggest problem is installer error. And that would be my guess on those problems that you are having, especially based on the other incidents of incompetance you have related to us.

Tolerances being what they are, the correctness of threads on molded fittings, molded nipples and cut nipples, is going to be pretty close. Perhaps the difference might be also in the molded valve body from the manufacturer. They have tolerances also. But like anything else the first and last parts of a run of product on the line might be at the high end or the low endof the scale.

That's why they make tef tape and tef paste. To fill in the gaps.

9. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

Maybee its just me but I swore off teflon tape a few years ago. Seems to not do as good of job sealing the threads. I can bet on thread sealant every single time we put in on. I see drips coming off of taped threads all the time. It may be installer error, but even a loose threaded joint with thread sealant seems to do ok.

10. Repairs

Repairs LawnSite Member

I definitely think the nipples are stronger. So what do you think, are we better off going from sch. 40 or class to a s x s coupling to a sch 80 s x t nipple threaded in to the valve?