Lawn Care Forum banner

Nissan Titan to get Cummins Diesel

7K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  Patriot Services 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I believe this was the motor for the ram 1500 from 2007ish...when they declared bankruptcy the motor was shelved. there was also a 3 liter v6 for the Dakota. I recall cummins shopping this to Nissan in 07 or 08 as well...

I don't think that cummins or ram would stop with the 2500-5500 trucks. it would cost themselves too much money. just don't expect ram to expand the cummins offerings.

I think Nissan went with cummins in the US due to name recognition.

#7 ·
one word, stupid.

not putting a diesel in a half-ton, but that big of a diesel. not to mention that we already know from ford/gm v8 diesel's that it just blows engines up to try and push those numbers out of that small a displacement. fortunately it's just nissan, not a big three brand that could re-ruin diesels in the american market

#8 ·
I think it's great and hope it is a trend pushing the other brands to offer more diesel. The only down fall I really see is if they price it too high.

Maybe we will see some small trucks with a diesel, that is what's really missing.

#10 ·
we will see, I'm not sure what to believe anymore remember the whole Tundra diesel thing

Nissan or Toyota has to at some point produce a 1/2 ton diesel to the US market

I for one would be the first put a deposit on the Tundra diesel (if it even comes to market)

#11 ·
Regarding diesels in half tons:

On one hand I think the idea is awesome. On the other, I can't figure out why someone would want a diesel half ton. I know, I know, torque and mpgs. The gas power plants currently offered in the half ton markets can already far exceed the design capacity of the vehicle, the temptation to not overload the half ton platform "just because I can" must be overwhelming. I think that is the main reason Dodge is putting a smaller diesel in their half tons vs the larger one in the Titan. Even the point about MPGs is somewhat moot. Local markets vary, but diesel is currently 60 cents more per gallon than 87 at the gas station I drive by every morning. That's almost a 20% difference. If the truck gets 25% better mpg (which may or may not be optimistic), you're looking at saving a whole 5% per mile. 20mpg in a gasser (at 3.45) is 17 cents per mile, 25 mpg in a diesel (at 3.99) is 16 cents per mile. A difference of one whole penny. What will this engine option cost? 5-7k? Your break even point in fuel savings will fall somewhere between 50,000 to 70,000 miles, but that doesn't factor the more expensive oil changes (even DIY) and repair bills.

All in all, I just can't wrap my head around a diesel half ton. Either from a practical, or a fiscal sense. If you need a truck to tow with better road manners, you need 3/4 or a 1 ton with a heavier frame, better tranny, axles, suspension, and brakes.

I predict the diesel half ton will sell a butt load at first, then tank.

#12 ·
check other markets

Nissan Patrol (diesel) is an amazing vehicle

Toyota markets Diesel trucks in quite a few other markets

I personally Blame Al Gore for the EPA's emissions silliness, and global warming hog wash:):dancing::clapping::dizzy::cry::laugh:

#13 ·
I don't think this Nissan/ Cummins half ton is going to be that great. This is the first I've ever heard of Cummins making a V8.. ever.

Bautieri:
All your math and reasoning is correct but what gasser gets 20 mpg? I'm getting 9 mpg in my 1500. A few of my buddies in their diesels get around 25. Diesel fuel may cost more but at over double (more like 2.5x) better mpg diesel is way cheaper to run than gas.

#14 ·
I don't think this Nissan/ Cummins half ton is going to be that great. This is the first I've ever heard of Cummins making a V8.. ever.

Bautieri:
All your math and reasoning is correct but what gasser gets 20 mpg? I'm getting 9 mpg in my 1500. A few of my buddies in their diesels get around 25. Diesel fuel may cost more but at over double (more like 2.5x) better mpg diesel is way cheaper to run than gas.
true, i dont know of any 1500s that get better than 17mpg.

#17 ·
check other markets

Nissan Patrol (diesel) is an amazing vehicle

Toyota markets Diesel trucks in quite a few other markets

I personally Blame Al Gore for the EPA's emissions silliness, and global warming hog wash:):dancing::clapping::dizzy::cry::laugh:
Those three letters- EPA- are the reason that the majority of trucks on the road aren't diesel. The whole thing about diesel gets me irritated. There's no reason it should cost more than gas.

#21 ·
The cummins V8 only weighs like 150lbs more than the current Gasser in the Titan so I don't see that being a problem

The MPG thing people are misunderstanding completely, especially in this business. All the numbers people are quoting are unloaded. Whens the last time you serviced a property with nothing in the truck not hauling a trailer?

Unloaded the Dodge Diesel gets ~30mpg with 4x2 the Gasser gets 21mpg pretty much 50% more.
but the important thing is the loaded/towing numbers like everyone here cares about(or should).

In the F250 gassers we get 9ish towing the open trailers with 5 man crews. The diesels get 15-16 that 70+% better economy those numbers you can't argue with.

Friend with a dodge 3500 diesel gets 12-13 towing a 5thwheel RV my gasser 1500 gets that towing a 6x12.

#22 ·
This isn't going to be a 6.7 litre from the Ram. More than likely it will be in the 4.5 litre V6 range. If they put a diesel in the Toyota Tundras I'm in. I recently converted all 3 of mine to Tundra 5.7s. Great mileage, tow anything my 3/4 tons did better and look better too.
Posted via Mobile Device

#23 ·
This isn't going to be a 6.7 litre from the Ram. More than likely it will be in the 4.5 litre V6 range. If they put a diesel in the Toyota Tundras I'm in. I recently converted all 3 of mine to Tundra 5.7s. Great mileage, tow anything my 3/4 tons did better and look better too.
Posted via Mobile Device
The dodge 1500 diesel will be a 3.0L already tested it in a grand Cherokee which weighs the same as a ram and actually has a worse drag coefficient. The 4X2 netted 30mpg highway and 24 I think city. Compare that to the hemi which recommends premium gas that gets 20mpg highway and 16?? City.

Mobile so not looking up the city mpgs I just remember hwy
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
Posted via Mobile Device
What kind of MPG #'s are you getting with the 5.7l vs. the 3/4 ton and 1 ton domestics...?

Empty and in tow....vs. the domestics...?
Posted via Mobile Device

#26 ·
if an when Toyota puts a diesel in the Tundra I'd be the first to buy one.... The rumor has been around for sometime No real info on a timeline though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.