Nitrogen Burn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Feb 13, 2008.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I have been working with a local Fert Rep who recommends his 17-9-7 dry Fert as his mainstay for Spring and Fall feeding. Calculated out would be 0.85-1 lb of N per 1K per app. Primary N source is ammonium nitrate. Assuming I apply within 24 hrs of rainfall to soak in, does anyone think this fert will have higher than normal chance of burn? I don't want to deal with a dry fert that is so extremely sensitive....
  2. MnLefty

MnLefty LawnSite Senior Member

Higher than normal, depends on "normal". Any time you put down a pound of straight N with no slow release properties you'll have a higher chance of burn than using some type of controlled release fert. Does ammonium nitrate have a higher burn potential than straight urea, probably a little... enough to make a big difference in spring and fall, maybe not. Couple questions though...

Do you really want to be somewhat weather dependent on just regular maintenance apps? Spring and fall here in MN shouldn't be a big issue, but there will be days that you probably would want to hold back with a product like that, when sulfer coated urea or others would be just fine.

Is the fert rep really pushing this product for residential lawns? Remember there's phosphorus restrictions here in MN. Zero P unless it's new seeding or soil tests show deficiency. 17-9-7 really shouldn't be the mainstay of anybody's program here.
  3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Lefty - yes, it is strange that he is promoting a phos product in MN (I am aware of the zero phos regs). He does have a zero phos product but the N source is the same.
  4. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN