1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Nitrogen in tires?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by D&M Lawn & Snow, May 21, 2007.

1. D&M Lawn & Snow

D&M Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone uses nitrogen to fill their mower tires? It seems to me that nitrogen in mower tires would be a great way to maintain pressures with all of the climate changes, different terrain, and continuous manuvering that we all put our mowers through. Does anyone have any feedback? I am going to try it, but am looking for any experiences that you may have with it.
  2. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

I don't see what all the hype is about nitrogen in tires, be it tractor, mower, car, trailer etc. Once you get a leak, how are you going to fix it or how are most shops going to fix it, plug it and fill it with regular shop air????? Yea they say the molecules are larger maintain more consistent pressure but to me, shop air is nearly free.
  3. mulligant

mulligant LawnSite Member

I had a 52" Hustler mini z last year that had windshield washer fluid in the tires. I put it in at the end of the season as an expiriment and I was really surprized at how much it improved the ride. With the fluid in the tires you only need to run about 5 lbs of air and it also adds about 36 lbs at 6 lbs per gallon to the rear of you mower for traction. I bought the fluid for about $10 and a local tire shop broke the tires down and installed it for me for about $10. Worth every penny. However, I have since sold the mini z because of cut quality and I need to do this to my new mower.
  4. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I"ve never heard of this. Besides, if IIRC, my college astronomy class taught me earth's atmosphere is naturally made up of 78% nitrogen? So really you're just removing a little Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide. How does that help?
  5. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

The only thing it helps is marketing. That is the only reason to use it in cars or mowing equipment. Aircraft tires use nitrogen but this is due to the environment they operate in and it doesn’t support fire. Not so sure this is an issue for lawn cutting mowers. I’ll stick with good old natural air.
  6. ohanyan1

ohanyan1 LawnSite Member

I agree. This is a scam if I have ever heard of one.
  7. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Nitrogen is dry, and not effected much by temp. change. Race car tires -yes, my truck, trailer, and mowers,- no.
  8. Fairway Land & Lawn

Fairway Land & Lawn LawnSite Member

There will be relatively little affect on the mower from Nitrogen in the tires. This practice really only becomes beneficial in racecar tires. Oxygen molecules become excited too easily when introduced to heat. This excitement by temperature results in a drastice pressure increase, which then affects the outside diameter of the tire, creating less than optimal handling performance. Nitrogen molecules are not as easily exicted by temperature. Therefore, maintaining a more consistant tire pressure, and more consistant handling performance. The rapid build up of temperature and pressure is mainly from Friction. For street cars it may be possible to see a 5-8psi increase in tire pressure after a several hour drive at highway speed, a racecar can see 10-18psi increase. Nitrogen will have less of an affect in both situations. It may be benefial to keep regular shop air in your truck and trailer tires, as your tire temperature goes up so does you tire pressure, as well as your fuel mileage. Just my $0.02.....
  9. D&M Lawn & Snow

D&M Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback. I have noticed that tires lose different amounts of air over time. I never just add say 4 lbs. to each side. I was thinking dry nitrogen would keep equal pressures better and longer. Equal tire pressure means straighter lines, less wear on mower trying to keep nice lines, and less time checking and filling tires.
  10. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

How much pressure are you running in your tires? 13 psi on all tires, and if 78% of air is nitrogen, 22% other gases, if I take 22% of 13 psi does that mean my max difference in tire pressure due to air over nitrogen would be 1.69 psi? Still doesn't seem worth it to me. In fact I doubt my tire pressure gauge is accurate enough to measure this difference.