1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Nj and Fall seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gtotoy, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

I am under the impression that our normal routine of fall seeding will be severly hampered by the water restrictions impossed here in NJ.. According to the current restrictions, no lawn watering at all unless brand new construction.. My question is ? Am i wrong, will we be allowed to water the lawn renovations, i.e. 1 ac. propertys getting $2000-$5000 seeding jobs.? Lets here the thoughts and concerns over this nagging problem.
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Same here in SE PA (Delaware/Chester Counties) except a few municipalities, where I have accounts, are not under the severe restrictions. The others have the same rules as you in PA that it must be new install or sod. Kinda sux, but also makes sense. Why waste water when there is some grass there. I might upsell spring aerating and overseeding in the hope we get some snow and the restrictions are lifted.

One question I have...you can get $2,000-5,000 for aerating and overseeding one acre? Or are you doing much more?
  3. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

"will we be allowed to water the lawn renovations"??

Under the current restrictions we are not allowed to water overseeding, renovations, sod or new seeding UNLESS it is for a NEW building or home being built. The only reason they allow that is for the soil conservation\erosion control regulations that apply to new construction. This will definitely affect our normal fall turf renovations etc. Here is the web site with all of the specifics:
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I am to the point I may just wait and do all our aerating/reseeding projects next Spring. By the time we get any appreciative rain, it may be too late into the Fall...especially if we're puttin down Fescue which takes longer to germinate then other grasses.

5. SouthernGardening

SouthernGardening LawnSite Member

This drought is the pits. Here in the North Carolina piedmont, one water district has just banned ALL outside water use except for fire supression. Sure is putting a hurting on my business, but running out of water would be even worse. Good luck to all of us in getting our businesses thru this.
  6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: had a customer today in marlboro get woke up with a knock on the door at 645 am and the cop told her the next time it will be a $1000. needless to say she told me to hold up on the aeration. tony
  7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

You gotta believe and you gotta sell anyhow. I am selling seeding and aeration. I tell people they haven't outlawed rain yet and the seed is better stored in your lawn for nature to work with than in a bag. I also tell them we don't want to be in a guessing game, waiting for all the lights to turn green before we go and whatever opportunities arise. We have to go now. I tell them we don't do spring seeding "and we don't" so they have to live with their decision not to seed for another year. Thin and bald spots will be more prone to weed invasion and crabgrass will be harder to suppress.

Quit running scared and get to selling and then to work.

Hey, somebody tell me what is done for $2K-$5K seeding on 1 acre.
  8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm w/ Harold. We're primarily going to aerate & overseed from late September through October. I just hope that the lawns don't go nuts w/ chickweed this winter (maybe an application of pendimeth or something when we fert in November - but what'll that do to the seed - brain is in overdrive w/ this ongoing drought and I unfortunately am not the answer guy). Anyhow - just let the client know to expect less than usual, but in all reality, the lawn (new seed) will germinate (possibly fall - definately spring) especially in the aeration holes.

BTW - today marked our 46 day of 90+F weather - normal for year is 22 days. Not the record I was looking for!!

9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

HBFOX...good points you make like rain is not yet illegal. And rennovating in spring is not my preference....soil temp too low and often too much moisture...(whats moisture?)....I played with my big bad Ryan L28 last week on my own yard and the machine had trouble pulling plugs half the normal size...and this beast is made for hard soil...you guys made some very good points here...we just have to hang in there....hard as that may be
  10. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Turfdude -

Great post...you make some really good points. One thing I would like to point out though.......DON'T put any pedimeth on areas that have been seeded until well after everything has germinated and become well rooted. It will definitely keep new grass seed from germinating.....believe me I speak from experience (bad experience!!) on that one.