nj contractors license

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bobbygedd, Oct 23, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

right now, there is in effect, a law that requires anybody who does anything other than grasscutting, to carry a contractors license ($90). they have yet to enforce this law, however. my accountant told me, that in 2006, they will indeed enforce the crap out of it. there is only one problem.....if you're not a registered business, they don't come looking for you, how can they, they don't know you're in business. the only way these illigit companies get busted, is if someone rats them out. and we all know, we wouldn't do that. so, i guesss the legit companies will just pay for the stupid license, in addition to the pest license, pest ins, liability ins, wc ins, comm auto ins, se tax, accounting fees....and on and on, while the majority of the lawn service population continue to avoid all these expenses, and get rich. opinions? i don't think they should be allowed to pass a law, without having the ability to police/enforce the law. opinions?

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

how did your accountant say they were going to enforce the law and what is the penalty for violation?

I mean enforcing the crap outta the law but not looking for anyone doesn't make any sense, does it.

and you have a "contractors" license? really? that is good to know.

GEO

3. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree. I would be happy to pay the pest fee if the laws were enforced.

I am happy to pay a 50$ fee to a local town that requires landscapers to have permits because the town actually enforces the law and only 'legal' landscapers work the town so pricing is fair. To get a permit one must have licenses, pest license, insurance, worker's comp, and more. So, in that case I am glad to see the town actually enforce the law. If that were the case throughout the business we'd be better off.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I wish the would do that in Huntington, lawnguy. There are illegals running everywhere here.

5. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Just another way for the state to take $$ from our pockets. They already rape all landscapers, HD's, Supermarkets, etc to purchase plant dealer licenses, now they want even more. Whats next... registrations in each town in which we operate??

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

"enforcing" it, mr. fife, means to look up all REGISTERED businesses, and paying a visit to them, to see if they are only mowing, or, if they are doing the extras, which would require them to carry the license. not to worry though, if you are not a registered business, they can't find you, without putting in countless hours driving around stopping people. and that, would require effort, and money, something they more than likely, don't want to spend.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

oh, and i believe the penalty, if i'm not mistaken, as it is written, is your entire year to date revenue. ask rod, i mailed the paperwork concerning said law, and its penalty for violation, to him.

8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

do your "citys" not require a buisness license when you operate in their confines?

GEO :confused:

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Currently, in Camden County, we do NOT have to have them nor do any service based businesses that I know of. However, in Cape May county, they do. I guess it all depends on the situation.

10. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

come up to monmouth county. i have at least 4 towns i do business in i need permits for. from anywhere to $25 to $50 a year.

bobby, do you have any more info you could post about the license website or whatever, where do we apply?