NJ Landscape Contractors Association (NJLCA)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LB1234, Feb 1, 2008.

1. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Thinking of joining. Really on the fence as to how/if it would benefit my company. We are a small owner operated company going on 8 years.

Visited the website and I'm not overly impressed. Their main headings are about becoming a 'certified landscape technician', an annual golf outing, the trade show (which I get mailed about every year anyway), some achievement awards, a calander, membership, and special events.

It explains that benefits include a monthly newsletter, promoting a professional image (???), offering a certification program that would cost after joining somewhere in the 800-900 range just for purchasing manuals and taking the exam, something about information on new products, events, and regs, and sponsors whom I rarely use or even heard of.

I was hoping for discounted group insurance (GL, W/C, Auto, etc.) or offered health care packages if/when I gain full-time employees. It looks as if they try and contact legislation on certain issues that effect our industry, the whole low-voltage lighting issue and H2B worker program. Niether of which has any impact whatsoever on our company.

I don't mean to come off negative here or sound like I'm trashing the association, I'm sure its a really good..but is it good for my company? I know, I know I have to decide that. But I'm curious if anyone has had experience with this association and whether they left, stayed with the association, is a must for their company, etc.

I just have a feeling its for larger companies who do over 300-400k in sales. I tried doing a search on this site but everything is a number of years old with no real pros/cons.

Any comments are appreciated.

2. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

What is the cost of joining?

3. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I looked it joining last year but I didn't see any benfit it doing so other then paying something like $200 a year and being able to say I was in it. I don't feel like paying another fee for nothing, theres enough of that in new jersey already. Maybe if they offered some of the things you said or gave some sort of benfits I would join until then no doesn't seem worth it.

4. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

U should attend a meeting for the planj (professional landscape allience of new jersey) their located in somerset, and they have members with small to large companies. Most are smaller companies, plus they are more active then the njlca

5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I was never impressed by the njlca. If I gave money to everybody that asked over the course of the year I would have none for myself. I look for organizations that provide services and benifits. I did join the BBB, this doesnt do a whole lot for me except for help with remediation, but the customers like hearing it. Not sure if Im gonna renew.

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Not a member, but we go and meet jersey guys from this site every year at their trade show, and have lunch together. Great for networking in the off season and shooting the sh!t.