NJ/NY/CT- when are you starting spring cleanups?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Mar 17, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

For all of you guys in the tri-state area, when are you planning on starting spring cleanups? With the 8" of snow/sleet we got here yesterday, I figure I'll start cleanups in about 2 weeks (last weekend in March). This is a little later than normal, but I don't want to damage my lawns by running mowers and blowers over them when they are still wet and muddy.

So, when are you starting spring cleanups?

2. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Started mine around feb. 18
    -Jay

3. mkwl

You started SPRING cleanups in February?:dizzy: Did you also do a fall cleanup in November/December?

4. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Feb 18th? Is that south (of the equator) Jersey? Wasn't the turf frozen?

Anyhoo-I'm hoping to start again (did 3 the day last week it was 70) 3/26.

The only good thing besides $ about the snow is I will be able to say "it's because of all the snow in March" for whatever I need to use that (real) excuse for!

5. mexiking

mexiking LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i had done 5 when it was hot , will have to wait til the snow melts now...

6. Shades of Green LService

Genius, November/December is Fall.:hammerhead: Also, I do Fertilization as well, i have to get those clean so i can apply rnd !.

7. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Usually start spring cleanups in March, depending on weather. So, with the recent weather, it will probably be the end of March, same as you mkwl.

Of course, in April is when I start getting the calls - "How come my lawn looks so bad??" and I have to reassure everyone that it is still early. May comes, and everything looks great. Same thing every year!

8. Shades of Green LService

Apparently i have annoyed people by working and not sitting on my A$$.
    Feb/March -Winter/Spring Clean ups
    March-april Rnd 1 Pre emergents
    March/April Mulch
    Mid AprilMowing usually starts
    April Select homes get preventative fungicide APP.1

Been doing it this way for 10 years.
    -Jay

9. mkwl

I figured maybe you just did a combined fall/spring cleanup, I don't know of any other landscaper who does spring cleanups in February, nor have I ever heard of someone paying to have a winter cleanup!:dizzy: I guess you guys in southern NJ do it defferently than us northern NJ landscapers- whatever works!

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Alot of the bigger companies do if we have good weather. I've seen Brickman and others doing spring clean-up/mulching in February. This year I'm sure was different do to all the snow we recieved. I'd love to do spring clean-ups in February but the ground is alwasy too soft on most of my accounts.