NJ Storm Water Management Discussion

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by shovelracer, Mar 22, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

OK so NJ is gonna start enforcing their storm water management plan starting on a county and municipal level. More exactly they are forcing the works departments to build 4 special wash stations that will manage and treat the waste water from cleaning the trucks of debris, salts, and oils. Each station in my county will cost approximately 1.3 million each. I think OK I dont want to have that in my drinking water anyways. Then I start talking to some people around and start hearing some more stories. As of now they are stories as I havent seen anything in actual print to verify this.

The stories basically go that this will trickle down to the smallest level eventually. That meaning that at some point in the future even small LCOs may be required to provide proof that their commercial vehicles have been washed once a month at new public wash management spray and wash stations.

In addition to this, the other story goes that landscapers or anyone involved will be responsible for cleaning up salt and grit from private areas such as parking lots that they apply to, within a time period after a storm. This will also start at high county levels and trickle down to the little guy.

So even with all the cutbacks the state is making, is this likely to happen? If so how would this be dealt with in regards to contracts and pricing. Furthermore, how could this actually be an effective system when almost everything else in the state is formed just to make a dollar. Lastly, does anyone have any more information regarding these potential issues?

2. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Even if it pass's, I highly doubt anyone will enforce its just like everything else. They made the contractors license but I have yet to see anyone enforce it, it will be another cost that the state will want from us for nothing.

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Apparently the state plan is already approved, its just a matter of compliance. That is the county washes issue. Just curious as to whether this really will if ever trickle down to our level. And then what, once in a blue moon a DEP inspector will roll up to a parking lot and fine the owner for gravel in the lot, then they will sue the contractor. I agree that what ever happens it will be undermanaged and overly charged, and eventually even if it is in 100 years it will happen, just curious if I will ever see it.