1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

NJ teenager

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by pauliesh, Jul 9, 2013.

1. pauliesh

pauliesh LawnSite Member

Hello, I am 17 years old and about to be 18. I have 5 lawn accounts right now. I have a 22" Toro Personal Pace mower, Stihl BR350 blower, Stihl FS45C trimmer, Poulan Pro hedge trimmer, and a redmax handheld blower. I use my truck, a 1994 GMC Sierra. It has a 6" suspension lift kit and a 3" body lift kit of 35" tires. I love the lift kit, but it really stinks for landscaping. trying to load equipment and supplies in the bed it tough. Im considering trading my truck for something not lifted. I am also looking for a used 36" walk behind mower. I hope to make my business legal next year. I am starting college in the fall majoring in Landscape Management and Design so I hope to start a landscape construction and maintenance business. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks
  2. Scagman 48

Scagman 48 LawnSite Senior Member

yo dude welcome to the community im from martinsville alittle south of ya
  3. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome! im also from jersey and started out similar to you if you ever have questions feel free to get in touch
  4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Your post reads well. Make sure your schooling includes business management for your industry. Also start now a Roth IRA and if possible a medical savings account. Both will be critical for your future. All the best.
    easy-lift guy
  5. zo6

zo6 LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome, im in nj too, north of you.... Keep your nice truck and buy a beater truck, its frustrating but its worth it to have your nice truck waitin in the drive when you get home..
  6. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Welcome, why not get a trailer to haul your equipment and supplies. When your done for the day, it can be dropped and you don't have to unload everything. "Money saved is money earned"
  7. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Best of luck to you on your business.
    Majoring in landscaping management will open new doors.:waving:
  8. thelawnman

thelawnman LawnSite Senior Member

yeo I start out you like you now I m 18. Last year wasn't my first year but it was the first year I got really serious about it. Its not the easy thing as a kid to get yards because people don't know what you got till you should them. All you need to do it do amazing work a good price and people will find out about you.
  9. pauliesh

pauliesh LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I just scheduled my classes for next year today and im super excited. Im going on saturday to check out (and hopefully buy) a 36" ransomes walk behind mower
  10. thelawnman

thelawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Its a good feeling to buy one and saves times. Its it brand new or is a used mower. I m looking to buy my second mower soon.