nlvca is not outdoor lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

What a bunch of mambi-pambies. Did I spell that right? Is it a word? Is it two words?

If they think we're nuts, they should meet the irritation guys!!

Is it possible that our industry could dissociate ourselves from all other lv categories? I don't want people confusing me with the guys who install vacuum systems. No offense. It's just that the people who do creative work need to be affiliated with free-speaking outcasts more than right-wing nut jobs. I'm not saying all non "outdoor-lighting" lv people are conservative extremists like Bill O'Reilly or the Taliban or anything, but some people at that nlvca make my stomach turn.

"I went to the woods to live deliberately...."

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

I too went to the woods to live deliberately... Quite literaly too... have you seen where I live? :)

I agree with a lot you have to say Mike.... except for pierce points of course. :)

3. Mike M

from usa

I didn't think Canadians read Thoreau. Even though that name looks French.

Anyway, did you see what that girl wrote?? And I got a serious "second and final warning" for using too many emoticons.

Did you read my line about you mocking me before they deleted it? I even made some allusions to those smileys reminding me of the people in Brave New World and Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

You and Mike G and others are gonna provide free content from years of experience, and all they do is censor and edit and then make some insulting jabs.

You know what they think content is? That page full of lighting terminology. Have you seen it? That marketing girl posted it. Everyone is gonna keep returning to that website to read the lighting terminology. Hey did you hear about that lighting terminology? Everyone's reading it, go check it out. Let's all get together and head to that lighting terminology page and break out into small reading groups.

Hey James, I'll PM you a link to that lighting terminology page. Let me know what you think. We'll write a long thread on lighting terminology. Wait, let me look in the back of my Vista manual. We'll compare the lighting terminology. Does aolp have a lighting terminology page? When I had light shop in high school, we had to memorize the lighting terminology before we could use any of the lighting tools.

Crap, wheres my lighting terminology? I put it here somewhere... I can't go to the job site without reviewing my lighting terminology... James, fax me your lighting terminology, I have a presentation to do today. Kelly, where's my lighting terminology? I had it right next to the business phone. Who was friggin around with my damn lighting terminology?

4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

In comparison, the guys here at Lawnsite are doing an excellent job. And in return look at the volumes and volumes of amazing information they have amassed on these pages.

5. Mike M

from usa

If you read the stuff the makes the US the US, and you like it, than why do you stereotype us? Individuality and independent thinkers are valued. Bill L., Nate, Mike G., Seth Godin, and on and on, all examples of free and independent thinkers. At least it was important before 911. Then we seemed to surrender free will to God and and big government.

You are right, lawnsite gives us a lot of freedom.

Too bad we are losing our newspapers. All the more reason to look to electronic media and fight for the right to argue ideas, send letters to the editor, sneak in some free publicity when we can, keep up with industry gossip, and find out about new equipment (etc.).

As far as having to listen to some ridiculous banter while hashing out ideas, I think the moderators at that place should watch cspan's coverage of Gordon Brown at the British Parliament. They slouch like juveniles in those chairs and heckle each other. Don't they realize they are on tv? haha.

6. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Mike, I didnt say anywhere we read it! And I didn't say anywhere we like it! I clearly said we burn it. :)

To be honest, I have never read anything by Thoreau.

As far as stereotyping... well that is human nature is it not? I think all people all over are guilty of that! You do know that we Canadians do not all say "Eh?", don't all drink copius quantities of beer, eat back bacon, and wear touques right? (See what I mean)

Have a great day.

7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

You guys..... geez.. save the private conversations for email. We're here to discuss the nuts and bolts... serious stuff only....

:laugh:

That gal is really on a "Power" trip... :)

Anyway, think of this guys: nlvca is not dependent on advertising for their revenues.

Lawnsite is.

A site that allows us more freedom to post gets more content FOR FREE.

So, think about that for a second....

BTW Mike, the irrigation forum is probably the most fun Lawnsite has to offer and still has a lot valuable advice. I thought Lawnsite lighting guys took themselves way too seriously until I compared it to the AOLP and NLVCA.

Lawnsite moderators do a much better job of culling out the real misfits, and are more responsive to complaints... even though I think they are a little heavy-handed on occasion.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

What's a touque?

9. Mike M

from usa

I won't read my pm there, but I speculate that it may have something to do with my acumulation of off-topic violations and a possible third strike I'm out.

Gregg, as for your buddies on the irr discussions, they would really have fun there for the 10 minutes they would last, and there is no offense meant by that, just my honest admiration.

10. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Why would you guys want to deal with another forum anyway? The only positive thing about that site is Mike G. is participating.