1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No 2-4-D!!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnstudent, Jun 2, 2002.

1. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

"Lush, green lawns may be hiding risk of cancer linked to use of weed killer" "Does cancer for plants also mean cancer for people?"

These are the headlines of an article by Emily Green of the Los Angeles Times published in my loacl newspaper this Sunday. The article indicates that the EPA is reviewing the registration of 2-4-D. This review is to be completed within two years. The article further states that 2-4-D was ruled not a human carcinogen in 1997, but that the EPA is reviewing this issue again. The article also indicates that: "activists at the local level are demanding warning notices when it is used, blocking its use in city parks, and in some cases even getting it banned." Be prepared for the onslaught this summer.

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

The LA Times is a pretty liberal rag er...ah...newspaper. I can't say I'm terribly shocked.

3. Use Confront then.
  4. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

I added Confront to my arsenal a few years back because of the negative press on 2-4-D. But when you get the facts you find that 2-4-D has received intense study, it has not been found to be a carcinogen in humans or dogs, it is not a mutagen, and its half life is 7 - 9 days. Confront has a half life of 47 days. I rather put 2-4-D down in my own yard than Confront and do!
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

At 4x the cost?! And it doesn't control certain weeds as well?

No thanx. I want ALL the tools in my pocket.
  7. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Never have I seen a case where Confront didn't outperform ANY other herbicide available. It is a very slow acting herbicide, but what difference does that make? A professional applicator would set a realistic expectation with the client & then patiently wait the 2 weeks for what amounts to much better than average results. Confront does cost nearly 4x the cost of the so called "classic 3-way herbicides" per gallon, but the rate is rarely more than 1/2 oz/M or 1/3 the nominal use rates. So at the .25 oz that would do the job in this case I'd hardly call it expensive. There aren't many herbicides today that cost much less than $.25/M, so in this case, Confront is even less. In any event, a retreatment would cost a LOT more.

8. Like Tremor said cost for the product, and not breaking it down to the application rate/cost makes a big diference.

I thought the same untill I have had everything figured at the cost per 1000 sq/ft.

2 cent more for straight Confront for me than Lesco Momentum.

Momentum works ok, but stll can't nock all the clover down like the straight Confront does.

Also I have yet to have a call back of using either product, but I can see the differnce that the straight Confront has a leading edge over the momentum.
  9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I was using Confront and really liked the results then it got banned in Wa St because to many lawncare companies were dumping the clippings to be used as mulch around plants. This caused problems so they banned it. I mulch everything and wish I still had it in my arsenal. Don't like the smell of 24D anyway. But I'm using it anyway.
  10. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

It seems everything in high enough amounts can cause cancer.

A study relesed last year said that flouride in high enough concentrations had caused cancer in lab animals. Oh but they said dont stop brushing your teeth or drinking water.:rolleyes:

The air we breath can cause cancer as well as many other problems. Oh no lets all stop breathing. LOL

It will never stop I am afraid. Soon we will be on our hands and knees pulling weeds. Oh wait that could cause back trouble. We had better ban that too.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

By the way, Untill they ban it, I use Millennium Ultra.