No access to the yard!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thedreamingtreelawnscapes, Apr 10, 2013.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

Yea. i agree. a ramp would work great. if its a 48 it wouldnt be a problem at all. just push down a bit to lift up the deck as you get to the peak and it will go up nicely.

2. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

3. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Small world. I too am from Pittsburgh PA and had a client last year just like that! Oddly enough she hasn't called me yet this year! What are the odds of that, lol!

I overbid the job because I had to use a 21" mower on the lawn, lift if up over the retaining wall to mow it even! Oh and don't get me started on parking... it doesn't exist! Nowhere to park the the truck with a trailer and the homeowner would not make parking arrangements even when she knew I was coming... total PITA.

4. JimsLocalLawn

JimsLocalLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Something to consider is liability...

Even if you have permission to go through the neighbors lawn, there is always the chance of doing some kind of damage to the property which you will be responsible for.
    Also...
    You do the ramp idea and one day your walking your mower up the ramp, what happens if it falls? You could damage yourself, your equipment, or something on the property.

Some lawns are just not worth the liability... which is why I overbid mine.

Not saying your customer is the same as mine, just saying I had the same experience and the client was more than happy to pay the extra because she couldn't even get a lawn company to mow it under the circumstances.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

just take the mower through the other yards.

get permission first. if they agree then no problem.

6. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Is it possible for you to back your trailer up to the retaining wall and rest your ramp door on it, if so, load mower in the trailer so you can pull out running forward to have more control. Might be bit of a pain but that should work nicely if possible. Don't leave your truck in the road. lol

7. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Use a 21. Charge accordingly. If your from Pittsburgh get used to it. There is more than 1 yard that I do in which I have to solely use 21" mowers
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

We do one that some what like this. Yard is divided by a creek and the neighbor has a bridge that we use to cross, its right on the property line. Just had an agreement made up to use the bridge and it was singed by all parties. Two years going on three with no problems.

9. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

if its a well built ramp it wont fall.

10. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I won't even take an account anymore that requires the use of a 21, let alone toting one up stairs or driving something up a ramp. :)

Seriously, though, if this property is as small as I'm guessing, and I thought I had to take the account, if I didn't already own one, I'd go to Wally World or Lowe's, and buy a cheap, light, 21 inch mower and carry it up the steps. Charge accordingly. If she doesn't want to pay it, move on.