No applicators lic.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by xtremelawn, Feb 6, 2008.

1. xtremelawn

xtremelawn LawnSite Member
    from USA

I had a couple of customers call me today and tell me that another company was able to beat my prices. Ask if I could match the new price. 5000 sq. ft. lawn my price $39 there price $25. There is no way I can match this price. I called this company and acted like I was interested in their service. Without even looking he quoted me $25. I ask him if he was insured and he said no. I ask him if he had an applicators lic. he told me that it was not required. I ask him what fertilizer he used and what he used for weed control. He said he get all his stuff from Lesco. "Lesco fertilizer and MOMENTUM for weed control"
    How is he able to buy momentum without a lic.

Should I turn him into the TDA or pest control board? Should I tell the customers that called me today?

He has no lic. but his door hanger list weed control and his web site also list it.

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I know what I would do!

We should NEVER lose work to someone that isn't qualified!

They are not only breaking the law...they are ruining the industry with cheap prices and they don't have a freak'n clue what they are doing!
  3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

That is horrible. First, let your customers know how this guy operates his "business." Absolutely let them know he is not licensed and not insured.

Beyond that, talk to Lesco. Maybe tell them you'd appreciate it if them did not sell to unlicensed, uninsured individuals and you'd be happy to take your business elsewhere if they continue this practice.

Yea, I'd contact the State. You went through all the trouble to be legit and abide by the laws. Why shouldn't your professional competition?
  4. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I don't believe that Momentum is a restricted use pesticide. If it is not restricted use then Lesco has no need to ask for a license. As far as for insurance they definately have no right to ask if someone is insured prior to them selling them product. I would definately call the TDA (1-800-TELL-TDA) and check them out.
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Tell the people that called to bring you the guy's business card with the $25 quote on it and his applicator's license number on it, and that you will get back with them after you verify the number. Should open a few portions of grey matter.
  6. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

i talked to my lesco rep. and he said they dont even check for a license. had the same thing happening here. had a little talk with my ag inspector, dont have to worry about that guy any more. maybe its like full auto weapons, its not illegal to own the drop in pins, its just illegal to install them.
  7. SpreadNSpray

SpreadNSpray LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

That's a no brainer. No insurance, no license.

To get a license in my state they require proof of insurance every year.
    To get insurance you need to be registered with the gov as a business.
    Once registered as a business your on the radar.

Lets see him charge $25 now!
  8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

It's easy (and some might even call it cowardly) for me to stop a guy like this. I call my local association. They report him. I don't need bricks being thrown through my windows. Guys like this should be caught. We all had to spend a lot of money and time to be legal and legit. People who want to take those risks should know what could happen to them. I say, let it happen to him.
  9. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

i don't know about texas, but here in idaho, you can't apply any pesticide for money unless you have a license, and you have to maintain insurance or you lose your license unless you file for an exemption and certify you wont do any applications. the only exception to this rule is if you don't advertise spraying, don't list it on an estimate or invoice, and you don't use motorized equipment. anyone can buy non-restricted use pesticides. if texas' laws are anything like they are here, it sounds like this guy is breaking the law, you should point this out to your customers and i would not hesitate to turn him in.
  10. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I have no plans on spraying herbicides or pesticides of any kind however what are the Idaho regs for fertilizer applications? If any.