1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No appreaciation...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by craigs lawncare, Apr 11, 2004.

1. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Any one ever have this happen to them.

About three weeks ago I dropped four of my lawns because I had the opportunity to pick up several more accounts close to my home. These four lawns were good quality jobs that grossed slightly over and slightly under a dollar a minute each. Three of the four were lawns I had been mowing for nine years. The other lawn, I had mowed for three. Great customers. Never complained.
    Rather than just turn them away, I asked my customers if they wanted me to recommend anyone to them. They all said yes. Earlier in the week at the local mower dealership, I remembered hearing someone say they knew of a new company that was looking for lawns and wondered if anyone knew of any potential customers. They said he was a younger gentleman who had just purchased a new Z that was mowing and putting him-self through collage and was paying for the new machine at the same time.
    Well, to make a long story short, I tracked him down and called him. I gave him all four accounts, told him I had set it up that all four props were awaiting his call and he should call them right away. I even offered to meet with him and introduce him to my old customers.
    He did say thanks on the phone... I will give him credit for that.

Maybe I am wrong for thinking this, but had someone called me up out of the blue in his situation and dropped four profitable lawns on my lap five or six weeks before the start of the season, I would have at least had the courtesy to meet with them face to face and and buy them dinner.

I don't know... maybe I shouldn't have expected anymore than a half-hearted thanks I guess.

2. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

First, never get rid of good dependable clients. The ones you just picked up may drop you like a rock at anytime.

Second, I think a thank you is all that is required from the young man. Afterall, you gave them to him. Who knows he may stroke you a dinner after he sees that they are good customers.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

let that be a lesson to you. don't help people, and you won't be dissapointed.
  4. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with nelbuts. I dont think the guy owes you a meal or anything. He did say thanks. In this day and age you were lucky to get that.
  5. craigs lawncare

Believe me, I thought long and hard about the decision. It wasn't easy to drop them. The hours on my regular full time job changed so I would not have been able to make it work out and maintain the new lawns I acquired over the winter. Infact, I thought about hiring someone to help but decided not to take that step.
    Actualy, you are correct... a thank you IS all thats required, but I think a little more would have been appropriate.
    As far as him waiting, and deciding weather they were good customers before he shows his gratitude. :rolleyes: PLEASE! Like I said... I have mowed them for years and have had hardly any issues with them. They were great people.

I'm not holding my breath for that Big Mac combo meal at Micky D's any-time soon.

Craig :rolleyes:
  6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think a good gesture on his part would have been nice, but it should not be expected because after all you gave him the accounts. He thanked you and maybe he will throw you a bone down the line.
  7. craigs lawncare

Bobbygedd, I understand where you are coming from. I guess thats just the way I am. Next time, I will come to terms with releasing my accounts sooner and try selling them over the entire winter.
    That way... no thanks will be needed.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

atta boy. fact is, EVERY SINGLE TIME i've helped someone, or done a favor, i got boned, or was very dissapionted in the way the other person acted. when someone does something nice for me(happens every ten thousand years) i am so grateful, i really show it. i would have offered you a few bucks, if u turned it down, i would have mailed you a gift certificate for a resturaunt. but that's just me
  9. craigs lawncare

EastProLawn, I agree that a thanks is really all that is required but I believe a DIGNIFIED gesture would have entailed more however. I know, that is what I would have done in that situation. I am a firm believer in the saying, "What goes around comes around." So this experience won't stop me from helping someone out in the future. However, in the future, if I ever decide to get rid of any lawns, I will come to terms with dropping them sooner and try my hand at selling them over the course of the entire winter. Then, I wont even expect a thank you.

As far as him throwing me a bone down the road... I'm not holding my breath.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Let's think about this a sec., and tell me if you guys agree. I think what it comes down to, is inexperience. I would, as well as several others on here, buy a nice dinner or return some sort of favor or SOMEthing of the sort if this was me that was handed the accounts. We all have been into this long enough to know, that we put up with alot of customer molarchy (Bobby will testify to that), put alot of time and work into getting the jobs (such as estimates and looooooong talks with some of the people to sell the work, and go though great stakes to make sure our customers STAY happy, and give them the best service possible.
    Someone just breaking into this business doesn't even have a CLUE what he's in for when it comes to dealing with customers and getting the job (the comPLETE job) done right. Therefore, he can not appreciate what goes into it yet, so for 4 accounts like these to be just handed to him, he may now, in a way, be conditioned to think that this is par for the course. Bottom line is, he just doesn't know any better. After he loses these customers, and he's been in it awhile, (if he's in it long enough to DO anything with it), he will grow to understand, and appreciate, like we do, any good work that comes our way. I have a great appreciation for work that comes my way withOUT any help of outside sources, let aLONE when referrals come this way. Do you guys agree with this philosophy?