No bed edger, other alternatives.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JShe8918, Apr 26, 2008.

1. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client who wants her beds to have a distinct edge along with new straw and a weed barrier. The only problem is she requested we use a bed edger and we do not own one and nor does anyone else in the surrounding areas. Next problem i can not find a place to rent one closer than 2.5 hours from me. And it has an 8 hour rental. I spend 5 hours driving and 3 using the machine. What are some other alternatives since one of these machines are out of the question. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. I would purchase one but it would take me years to make my money back due to everyone in my area uses some sort of edgeing around there beds. Whether bricks, plasic edging, or concrete. I do have a husqvarna push edger and thought of rotating the blade to a 30 degree angle and going along the inside and then using a -15 degree angle on the outside and removing the strip in between if that makes any since. Thanks...

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out the trenchblade, looks fairly good for the price. I don't have any experience with them yet but will be ordering some soon.

3. JShe8918

JShe8918 LawnSite Senior Member

I though about doing that but as i watch the video it appears that it took multiple passes to get it that away. And time is money as we all know.

4. Indy Kyle

Indy Kyle LawnSite Member

You can't just use a shovel to do it?

5. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

as they say....
    Git Er' Done!

shovel.jpg

6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

rent one or shovel it but make sure only one person that knows what there doing is cutting. if not u get a bunch of diffrent edges looks bad

7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I have a Turfco edge-it-rite for sale if interested, once you use an actual bed edger you and your clients will always want to have it done the right way. I'm asking 1000.00 OBO. PM me for pics.

8. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

stick edger,then a shovel

9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i think you got it backwards cut ur edge with the shovel then run the edger along it and its smooth all the way along.

10. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

The Trenchblade works way better than a shovel, and you can get a good edge in 1 pass.