1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No Bulk Pine Bark Nuggets

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tjsquickcuts, Sep 16, 2007.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I cannot find Large Pine Bark anywhere by the yard.....I simply hate the bags....Had to use 60 bags today on a home. By the time I arrived, my guys had already pulled off a few bags. And thats red mulch in the bed of the truck....Flower planting time at one of my commercial sites and needed mulch for my beds for the install on monday Morning....Planning on getting started around 5am......But those anyone know where to get Large Pine Bark Nuggets by the Cubic Yard????

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I Don't Know If It Is The Same Reason In Your Area, But I Use Mini Nugets A Lot In My Area And The Reason It Can Be Hard To Find Them In Bulk Is B/c The Same Company That Supply's The Bulk Product To The Dirt Yards Is The Sameone That Supplys The Bagged Products To Home Depot And Lowes. But I Really Don't Mind. It Is Always Easier To Purchase Them From Lowes And Home Depot B/c It Is More Labor Friendly. Think About It. You Have To Shovel It Out Of The Back Of The Truck Then Either Dump And Spread Or Shovel And Spread The Loose Material. When You Do It With Bags, You Have One Guys Humping The Bags And One Guy Shaking Them Into The Beds. I Promise With Two Guys On The Job, I Will Move More Much Than The Next Team. The Only Reason Out Side Of That For Using Them Is, I Calculated What I Was Spending Per Cubic Foot At The Dirt Yard And Found That It Was With In A Few Pennies Of What I Was Spending At Lowes. And I Don't Have To Either Sweep Out My Truck Or The Street When I Am Done. But Again, This Is Just My Opinion.
  3. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I've used mulch by the yard for about 20 years. If you are just dressing flower beds then bags are the way to go. I've never seen the large nuggets in bulk at any landscape material yards that I've been in.

Working at 5am? The sun isn't coming up unil about 7:20am are you using headlamps? ;-)
  4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Most pine bark nuggets are from Ponderosa Pine which only grows out west. No one is hauling it in bulk to the east coast that I know of.
  5. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Yeah I just found that out....No one for states has it in bulk.....It was fairly easy, just hated all the trash once complete.....
  6. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

And BTW, the bark I used came from Miss....
  7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I bought some pine bark nuggets in bulk back in the early spring. Bedford Mulch in Shelbyville TN. 931 607 4791. Give him a call and ask him where he got it from. I have to agree though. After using bulk for a while, I think it is in my best interest to start buying in the bag. The extra cost seems to worth the time savings in labor. JMO
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I can't imagine why you are using that stuff...it is a nitemare to try to keep it in place and don't look all that good. I don't think the box stores even carry it in bags any more in our area.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Old Castle Lawn & Garden in Pageland, SC is who distributes here locally. I don't know how far reaching they are, but the parent company "Old Castle" is a international company. They distribute bulk and bagged mulch and aggregates, though a majority of their business is the bagged lines that go to the big box stores.
  10. tjsquickcuts

from Atlanta

Man, don't I know....this stuff is going to blow all over the place the next time we get rain....I explained all of that to the H/O and she still wanted it.....she didnt want mulch because everyone else has it :confused: ....but this is the first time I have ever used Large Pine Bark Nuggetts.....