no calls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasschoppers lawn m, Mar 19, 2003.

1. grasschoppers lawn m

grasschoppers lawn m LawnSite Member

ok guys i need help! I have been handing fliers out for the last two weeks and i have only got 1 or 2 phone calls. what can i do? my houses have ranged in price from 200,000to 1000000 and nothing. is it early. a buddy of mine is getting calls left and right, so i don't know what to do. should i go back to the same places eventhough i didn't get 1 phone call

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Exactly how many fliers did you put out?
    Has your friend been around awhile? What is he doing differently then you are?

3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Run an ad in the local paper

ATTN: Grasschoppers Lawn maintenance is accepting clients for the 2003 season. Quality work, low prices. Call xxx-xxxx for free estimates.:D

mowedg060thm.gif

4. How many flyer's and what do they say?

5. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

Do you know if this area was hit hard by other lawn care providers before you, maybe they already signed with them.

6. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that those high end homes are a little harder to get your foot in the door.Depending on your situation try for some lower class homes if you have to.You could also try and knock on those upper class homes door and introduce yourself alot of times that helps.Once you get in those high end neighborhoods be sure and do your very best job because they can generaly get you all there neighbors as well.Keep getting out those flyers but make sure they are profesional looking flyers.:) hope this helps.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Jacob. Try lower classed houses, and I would also put an ad in a local paper. I have one house in an expensive area that saves all the fliers he gets and gives them to me for some strange reason. He doesn't even bother looking at them, except to know that they are for lawn care. He likes to bust my chops and says "you don't want me to use one of these guys do you?".

Also as much as I have found that people on this forum disagree, knock on doors and introduce yourself. Face to face is a much better approach. Though others disagree... it does work. :cool:

8. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

I think it depends on the income level of the people you are selling to. I would save the fliers for the "lower classed" houses and direct mail or knock on the doors of the higher priced homes. Wouldn't waste my time mailing to occupant, you must get the name of the person you are trying to contact. People in the more expensive homes are or at least think they are busier and don't have time to shop they just ask for referrals of a "gardener" that will take care of all of their needs. You might want to try and get in good with a Realtor that specializes in top end homes.

9. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I would say to target middle class neighborhoods. I got into upscale neighborhoods through friends and associates of people in middle class neighborhoods. The high end places usually have certain companies which are dug in really well... gettin in there takes either A. an influential person to give you a boost. B. one of the current guys in the area to mess up BAD and really piss off a client. Keep in mind.. in those types of circles, you piss off the wrong person and your business life can be made misserable. :( Also, try LA's they can be usefull. However you have to be knowledgeable on what you are doing.

10. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe the problem is with your flyer. All other things being equal you should be getting the calls that you're buddy is getting. Do some market testing of your flyer - maybe you need to re-design the flyer to more effectively attract biz - just a thought.