1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No certification for Chemlawn?????

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by packerbacker, May 31, 2005.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

A buddy of mine lost his job at the local Budweiser distributor and put his resume on-line.

He got a call from Chemlawn and went in for an interview against his better judgement.

Anyway, he was told by the branch manager that he didnt need a liscence through the state if he worked for them.

Is this true and if so how do they get away with that???????
  2. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Its the same here in Texas. They are being "supervised" by a clown that passed on his 3rd try.
  3. packerbacker

So all they need is some guy watching them?

What happens when they go out on their own?
  4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

same in indiana, as long as the person is suppervised directly on site, by a licensed tech. (goes for any company, not just tru-green)
  5. packerbacker

So what happens when they get their own route?
  6. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe in PA, as long as the tech goes through 30 days training and someone (usually the owner) has a license, they can go out on their own. The state issues a temp license, and the tech then is covered by the "veil" of the owners license. In my experiences, the bigger companies could care less if you get licensed. Keeps you from looking to leave and start your own or find a better company.
  7. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

When I worked for a fert & squirt company I was stopped by an inspector and he never asked for my license, just wrote the company a citation. In CA the law is that a licensee must be in site of anyone using pesticides under their supervision, but that is rarely the case.
  8. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

Absolutely. Once you start getting your licenses and realizing how much money you are making for someone else compared to how much they are actually paying you....and how darn hard you are working for them then the ol job at Chemlawn starts to not be so good at all :)

In my husbands 12 years of working for the big guys he never had more than a technicians license and only got his certified applicators license when we started The Other Side.

I am not sure of the exact time frames for training and what exactly is required at this time to hire someone under your license *it is late and I don't feel like looking the info up* But, when we get large enough to need another chemical applicator we can do the same *it doesn't just work for the bigger guys*
  9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

This only works for Turf and Ornamental spraying.
    Applying an insecticide to control a problem with-in a domicile, inhabited structure, in Texas, has to be done under a Structural Pest Control Borad license. And no, you cannot "supervise" a SPCB app, the person doing the app has to have his own license. This is the difference.
  10. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

This is accurate. Here the TDA licensing (I have both TDA & SPCB) is less restrictive. That is why you see the big guys using TDA. My 13 year old daughter could pass the TDA test. She could pass the SPCB one too if you gave her a couple of tries.