No Chopper For Me!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnSmith, Sep 21, 2001.

1. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

ALL THESE STATEMENTS ARE PURE OPINION!!

i demoed a 60 inch w/ a 25 and didnt like it much at all. my main gripes(and they are major ones to me) are the fact that the blade engagement is right there in front of you and the way it engages. i dont want to be on a hill and suddenly go into a slide and have to reach down and bend over to kill the blades.

secondly, i dont like the non-user friendly controls. the throttle is really weird in my opinion, some cheezy lever. i wish all the controls were on the same side.

when the throttle is all the way up and the blades are not engaged, the motor constantly revs and slows, revs, slows. it is majorly anoying.

the deck is the absolute worst part. first, it isnt marked so you dont know what height you are cutting at. second, the lowering/rasing techinque is very funky and hard to get use to. third, if you hit a bump the deck sometimes slams all the way up and stays there until you lower it back down. and lastly, the deck doesnt even raise up far enough to clear a freakin curb!!

things i did like about it were the comfort of the ride. but thats credited to the mud terrain tires on the back being ran at about 10 lbs of pressure. this results in a bumpy but controled ride on uneven surfaces.

i liked the mulching plate that raises and lowers on the side. but, this would quickly get snagged on anything from a tree limb to a overhanging deck or road sign.

i liked the blade tip speed but i didnt like the engine noise that cam with it.

i liked its ability to hold a hill but my tiger will hold them just as well w/ its lower center of gravity and lower tire pressures.

all in all, a few Pro's but mostly Con's and the cons i couldnt and wouldnt get use to. No Chopper For Me!

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I know that you probably won't ever buy a Chopper but if I can address a couple of your issues.

"the blade engagement is right there in front of you and the way it engages. i dont want to be on a hill and suddenly go into a slide and have to reach down and bend over to kill the blades."

The red lever that you used to engage the blades can just as easily be made to stay in the horizontal position. All you need to do is slide the hole in the lever over the shaft and it stays put. That way you can use your foot to engage and disengage the blades.

"when the throttle is all the way up and the blades are not engaged, the motor constantly revs and slows, revs, slows. it is majorly anoying."

This has nothing to do with it being a Chopper. This is the governor on the engine working. As the engine wears in a little it tends to stop doing this.

"second, the lowering/rasing techinque is very funky and hard to get use to. third, if you hit a bump the deck sometimes slams all the way up and stays there until you lower it back down. and lastly, the deck doesnt even raise up far enough to clear a freakin curb!!"

Yes, the deck lift does take a little getting used to. But once you do you would appreciate the fact that you can raise or lower the deck, turn the blades on and off, adjust the throttle and steer the mower all at the same time. It's like operating a skid steer.

As far as the deck getting stuck in the up position Dixie took this into account when they built the machine. For people who tend to be rough on machines there is a small lever on the side of the deck lift. When it's in the down position it will allow the deck to go up and then come back down without using the deck lift.

Dixies have the same if not more range of height then all of the other mowers. I think it's 1 to 5 or 5-1/2 inches.

"i liked the mulching plate that raises and lowers on the side. but, this would quickly get snagged on anything from a tree limb to a overhanging deck or road sign."

There is a large thumb screw on the side of the OCDC. Just tighten it up a little and the OCDC stays up.

A DC is not a Scag just like a Exmark is not a Scag. When you try a new mower for the first time you need to take into account the fact that you may be used to something else and that a new system may be different and will take a little time to get used to.

3. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the good response w/out slamming me. you are very right when you say things take time to get used to.

if someone gave me a chopper i would more than likely keep it and get used to it and probably end up changing opinions of it.

when i commented on the mulching kit i more or less ment the whole setup..handle, bars, all that stuff. i can totally see the whole skeem of things getting damaged.

the tiger deck goes up to about 6.5 inches total. my deck now rubs on a lot of curbs. i cant see the chopper clearing those steep of curbs. i have heard people on here just complaing about getting it on the trailer!

i realize the motor revving is not a chopper thing but my 25 kohler doesnt do it and thats what this mower had on it. not only that, the muffler on my tiger is practically right behind my head, on the chopper it is down and out of the way. yet, the chopper was almost twice as loud. sounds to me that either chopper or kohler needs to re-route the or redesign the exhaust system.

just so it doest seem like i am totally slamming those mowers....i have seen more complaints on this board about Tigers than any other mower out there. i have been one of the "lucky" ones and havent had the slightest bit of trouble out of mine. but then again, it only has like 300 and something hours.

again thanks for the great response!

4. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

I can't walk and chew gum at the same time - can't quite imagine doing 4 things simultaneously on the mower.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

we getting ready to fight a war to preserve each of our rights to have an opinion.worth fighting for,absolutely

6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Richard,

I have heard from a LCO in my area that the deck lift mech. disengages on big bumps and that the foot pedal is so hard to push that all of his seats are broken. I also would be concerned with only 5/8" between one level to another. I like my Ferris 1/4". I am considering buying one Maybe I will Make my own deck lift. I have often wondered (while semi sliding on hill) If I would be quick enough to hit the blade button in a rollover emergency. Or even pick the right side. I guess that is what the seat switch is for. How does dixie address a rollover? Nine foot width? lol

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

First of all, tell this LCO that there is a spring assist on the deck lift on the newer decks and you can tighten it up so much that a baby can lift the deck. I do not know when they first put this feature on them, but my 1995 doesn't have it and my 2001 does.

I also have an old Chopper that didn't have this feature and my wife, who isn't very big or young, can raise the deck just fine on that machine. Of all the Choppers I've owned, I've never had a mower deck my wife can't raise.

I noticed your first 3 words are, "I have Heard"
    In the posting guidelines it says, (* Opinions that slam a manufacturer or product must be
    backed up with facts! If you don't own or have not owned or operated a particular
    piece of equipment or product your opinion is worthless and will not be expressed
    at the expense of manufacturer slander.)

If any of you members haven not read read the posting guidelines, please do. It will make the moderators jobs much easier if these rules are followed.

Thanks
    Eric

Disclaimer: I've done this for other Mfgs too. ;)

8. PRO-LAWN INC.

PRO-LAWN INC. LawnSite Member

i have a chopper and can tell you all kinds of stuff i ve put it threw
    in fact the day after i bought the mower i got a roofing nail in the back tire2-99- still there today9-01 it has fallen off my farther inlaws trailor hit rebar hit man hole coversetc.i like to comment on
    hills try going up and down a hill-slope etc i under stand time is money so put it on the hill or maybe push mow weed eating looks
    like crap in my opion chopperis one of the strongest mower i had pleasure using

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

PRO-LAWN,

Are you any relation to Tony Marks (awm)? You got his spelling and lack of punctuation beat by a mile!

10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric,

It's true I'm a Newbe (to the forum) and like most probably didn't spend hours studying the rules. Apparently I have awoken the sleeping giant. If you would have read all of my post you would have noticed I am interested in Buying one. My goal is to research (alleged ) weaknesses of said product until in my mind they are strengths. Not slam the manufacturer. In fact the reason I am Looking at DC is because I see many original engineering ideas that are so cool. That being said, a good thing can always be made better. I'll take my spanking because it's for a good cause . ( being a better business owner) Maybe you have no worries about rough terrain in the smooth estates of Chi town, but here in central Illinois our subdivisions produced corn last year.:confused: