1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

no compete clause...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Nov 1, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Who has employees sign a no compete clause prior to each season. If so, is it just not to compete with your customers or is it in lawn care itself.
  2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive always heard non competes make good toilet paper.
  3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Most non-competes are designed to prevent someone from taking your customers in the same industry. In other words, it would prvent them from operating a business or working for another business in a sales capacity that would solicit business from your customers for the same services that you provide. So they may be able to work for another company, as long as they are not soliciting business for that company, and it gives the a period fo time that they cannot start up, pruchase or otherwise take over operation of a company that woudl compete with yours.
  4. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

when i have a need for some employees i will have them sign a 1 year term DNC Clause which takes effect the moment they quit or get fired and wont be able to start a lawn company, just work for another company.
  5. I think it would be a waste of time.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Enforcing it would be difficult I would think and the fact I have more important things to worry about
  7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

another reason why many people hire illegals because they will never have enough money/ resources to branch off themselves.... why they are such hard workers and have loyalty because they will work with you for 20 years

you might as well have them sign it i doubt an employee would refuse to do it... what are the chances of you finding out they are cutting one of your lawns anyway im sure they would hide pretty good from you.... if tyhey take all your customers its one thing but are you going to waste time to bring someone to court if they stole an account?
  8. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

Not worth their weight in ink.
  9. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

when i applied to a landscape lighting company in 94 for a job out of vo-tech, they had me sign one with a part that they check all license boards for 2yrs after separation with the possibility of $10,000 in damages they would asked for in addition of your company being disbanded and assimilated into there's. and it was sign by a big legal company as the maker of the form.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

interesting strong arm method..however extremely unlikely to say the very least :laugh: