No compression.....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ACA L&L, Nov 28, 2007.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Kohler 20 hp command,

No compression on front cylinder head, has been leaking oil, burning oil and fouling plugs every4 hours or so.

It still runs on one cylinder but of course we want to fix it. What could it be, looking for scenarios, i know it didnt blow a rod it still runs, im thinking a valve is not set right?

2. Fisher40037

Fisher40037 LawnSite Member

With any kind of luck, it could be the blown head gasket has totally blown out..............................

I don't know for sure, I never have had anyone keep running one to that extreme. Take the plug out on that side, and crank with your finger
    over the hole. If you feel nothing, then the rod is likely gone, and a very expensive engine. If just the gasket or a valve, you should hear some "swooshing".

fish

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Fish is correct, I have seen quite a few run on one cylinder with a blown rod.

4. johnp900

johnp900 LawnSite Member

if it is at least fouling the plug, that's a good indication that the rod is intact. Check for a blown head gasket. Kohler is famous for that on this engine.

5. ACA L&L

Thank you much I will be running through it this weekend. I hope its something fixable, otherwise well have alot of leaves to rake.hahahahah

6. ACA L&L

it turned out to be a bent rod. needs a new cylinder as well, along with a few other things. should be all done by tonite.

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Man, a new cylinder is going to be expensive. How much would a whole replacement engine have run you?

8. ACA L&L

1700.00 New cylinder was under a hundred bucks or close to it. Not that bad.

9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Maybe we're mixed up on the terminology here? You can't get a new cylinder without buying a shortblock, which runs somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000 for just the block and gaskets. Or are you having somebody line it somehow?

10. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe ment rod for 100$? although kohler parts arent that cheap, much less gaskets and what not...