No Contact Agreements

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by stahls2, Jun 5, 2002.

1. stahls2

stahls2 LawnSite Member

I am looking for a No Contact Agreement that my employee's and customer's could sign. The agreement would state that neither the employee nor customer can solicit work from each other for XXX amount of years.

2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

Good Luck enforcing it.

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt that you will get customers to sign such a thing. You may be able to make it a company policy as part of the terms of employment with the possiblity of termination for violations. The new hire signs that they have read and agree to the terms and conditions of employment. Enforcement may be another story but at least you have made your wishes clearly known.

4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Yep,Agreed,who needs any more paper work any way.:sleeping:

5. stahls2

stahls2 LawnSite Member

I was talking with another LCO, he stated he has one for his sub contractors he uses. He stated they can not solicit work from his customers for ten years, even if they are no longer his customers. I don't think my customers would mind signing the agreement. They have already signed a seasonal contract. Maybe I am wrong.

6. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

How ya gonna enforce it? Also what happens if your employee decides ho wants to go out on his own?

7. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

a "non-compete" agreement is very hard to enforce by any measure. I have all my employees sign one, but I think it would be kind of stupid to approach my clients with the same type of agreement.

It generally states that they canmnot solicit present or future clients up to a year after they leave my employment.

By the way, the only way to enforce a "non-compete" agreement is to sue the offender in court for damages. Alot of trouble to go through.

8. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Wish I could get our commercial clients to sign saying they won't tender out the contract anymore...lol

Any agreemant with your employee has to be realistic ...don't try it with your customers you may end up without any.

9. stahls2

stahls2 LawnSite Member

This is not that unheard of. Last year when I built my house, the contractor had it in his contract that we could not approach his employees and/or sub-contractors. He was just protecting himself.

The reason why I want to implement this agreement is because I almost got burnt by a former (I fired him) employee. He almost walked off with a $40,000 a season job.

It may or may not be difficult to enforce, but at least the employee's know that I am not going to tolerate this.

SMBURGESS
    Could you e-mail me a copy of your "non-compete" agreement.