no crabgrass + high mowing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 21, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Here's a pic of my lawn (August 21, 2008). It has 3 only crabgrass plants (along the edges of the concrete), and it's never had a pre-emergent treatment. That's it. This lawn is 2 acres, but i mow it at 3 1/2 inches during the summer.

Many of our customers have serious crabgrass -- always along the edges where they mow or weedeat down to the "nubs". We warn them ahead of time every year, but so many never comply. Most of these customers never call in for a free service call ( I guess it's cuz their neighbors' lawns look worse), but a few do. We explain to them that we cannot guarantee weed control if they mow/trim less than 3 inches. Yet these "lawn scalpers" expect free (expensive) post-emergent treatments -- even when they weedeat as low as 1/4 inch. :confused:

We leave "fact sheets" everytime we treat that explain the need to "mow right", but it seems few customers take the time to read them. The fact sheet uses common sense from our State's land grant University, so it is unbiased.

Soon an "early frost" will take out annual grassy weeds, but for now we will continue to use Compass or Q4 to keep these "scalpers" happy. Of course the cost of doing this is passed along to the rest of our customers (gasoline, time, product, time loading, equipment, etc) -- not fair.

Question: Does anybody charge for post-emergent crabgrass control when it's the customer's fault? rscvp, thanks.

p.s. I threw the 2nd pic in so you guys would have something to look at other than lawn mowers, etc. (it's my 70 R/T Challenger with a "hard-body" that has tatoos on her inner thighs :laugh:..not shown)

no crabgrass 002.jpg

no crabgrass 001.jpg

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, I cant guarantee 100% results. Too many factors such as overwatering, mowing height, surface disturbance, etc. for PreMs to work everytime. All I can guarantee is that the product is applied properly and the rest is up to them, now if they are full service they write some big checks so Im a little more giving on certain things. If they dont go with the full program they get nothing free.

3. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

I have a small handout i give out with the round 1 fert/crab app that basically says "How you can help make this application more effective"

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I explain to the customers the expectations of a pre-emergence crabgrass control. Any pre-emergent that is applied has an expected life window of a maximum of 3 to 5 months, and that is only with optimum conditions. So, to expect 3 months of control, is the normal expectancy for this control. The pre-emergent has done it's job - and done what was was expected according to it's label. After that, it is possible that crabgrass germination is possible. We cannot control their mowing practices or the watering conditions, so any outbreak thereafter becomes over and above the normal program. In years (like this one), where we have exceptional rainfall, and the ground is "flushed", and more and more stuff just keeps germinating, then it certainly can't be avoided. the same holds true with nut sedge. that is always over and above the normal program, because that is not even a typical weed. Now,...on some of our jobs that we treat AND mow,...I will use discretion, and many times just treat the edges at no charge.

5. Grassman08

Grassman08 LawnSite Member

There are so many factors to no-crabgrass sucess that it is mind bogling. I have found the keys to be right turf, right place, and work toward thick,healthy turf. Now that is easier said then done. Moisture is a big player in all this, as well as proper mowing.

6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

First off, you might wanna introduce that poor girl to a tanning bed.

That being said, I was actually facing this dilemma today. I'm at home remixing right now (well, sort of) and I had a pair of large lawns just filled with crabgrass today. I chose to ignore it on the grounds that the don't water worth a damn - and my contract declares all guarantees VOID if lawns are not maintained.

I've decided that I'm going to enforce this policy via photos next year. I go through my entire service area on a weekly basis, and for now on am going to snap pix of the lawns that get stressed. Those lawns are always the ones with weed problems, bug problems, etc = $$$. And as things stand now, I don't make enough to pay for someone else's stupidity. My own stupidity is costly enough...

7. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Whoop,

That Lady may be Americans wife......If you said that about my wife, I would be quite insulted.

She looks Fine to me as so does that fine Car.

Pete

8. benjammin

benjammin LawnSite Senior Member

Are fvcking kidding me!?! Maybe a spray tan but red-heads look great naturally. Tanning beds are cancer and dermatoligists best friends.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Haha. You guys are so dumb. That was tongue in cheek. I bathe in sunscreen on a daily basis myself. I have actually been accused of glowing in the dark. Just having fun. My word...

HE WHO TAKES OFFENSE WHEN NONE IS INTENDED IS A FOOL. HE WHO TAKES OFFENSE WHEN OFFENSE IS INTENDED IS A BIGGER FOOL.

So there, you fools.

10. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

You've got a great sense of humour!! I'm sure Larry does, too. She looks great.

You also have a great sense of business. I'm going to add your void line to my contracts and take more photos to prove the point. Thanks!

And a shout out to Larry...good job! Send that photo of your lawn to your clients with an explanation.