No customer but Lots of Peanuts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by studentlawn, Mar 30, 2004.

1. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

This lady calls for an estimate, she needed it done the day of so I plugged her into the end of my schedule. I get and qoute it at $30 a service.. i had been debating 25 but I really wanted 30 for it and thought I could get it. I meet with her, and i do my calculations. Weekly service including spring and fall cleanup came to $950 or so with taxes for the year. She goes "oh no my current provider does it for 300 hundred dollars less. " and handed me a shody contract with the annual price on it. I respond with the "is there a reason you called me then?" line... She goes off complaining about the things her current lawn guy doesn't do and how he ignores her complaints. Against my better judgement I give her a price at $25 per service. Still about 150 more expensive then the other guy. Then she mentions pre paying and I gave her the 5% discount for paying the total upfront. I got within $100 bucks of her current lco. At this point im thinking to myself, "ok now im going to get the damn account and hate it all year"... she replies, "no sorry thats too expensive, i im sorry you can't be cheaper then my current lawn guy"
    I almost smacked her one real good. I held back my anger, but she could totally read my face. I think she was a bit embarressed to be complainning about her current guys service then expecting a cheaper qoute. This is the killer though. She then offers me honey roasted peanuts out of a jar on the table like its some consilation. I didn't really want any but I thought I may aswell get something for wasting my time. As I reach in she says, "Take alot, how bout you just take the whole jar!,"... I couldnt believe it... the b*tch tried giving me a can of peanuts to try to compensate for wasting my time. You better believe it, I took those peanuts. And they were good.

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

That would have been a good job for Elephantnest guy.

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

:D

Check out my new flyer:

Liberty Lawn and Landscape

Will work for peanuts, literally.

Call 1-800-THE-NEST

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would have asked her what was in the frig. Or in fact, tell her sure you will do it for the same price, but everyday that I come I want a jar of peanuts sitting outside for part of the payment

5. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

That sure does stink, but I couldn't help but laugh about the peanuts.

6. RBP

RBP LawnSite Member
    from mi

to bad they didnt have cashews or pistachios.then it would have been more worth your while but just honey rosted peanuts that sucks.

7. RBP

RBP LawnSite Member
    from mi

sorry you had to waste time but it does make for a funny story.

8. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

I checked back, they were honey toffee peanutes, whopidty doo...

9. lawnyogi

lawnyogi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Honey - toffee peanuts... now that changes things a bit.. I like those! :D

Thanks for the laugh!

10. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

You should have told her to reach in your jar and grab your peanuts, then I would have called in even.....