No deal on the 550 4x4

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't feel right about the deal so I decided to back out time to keep searching. You get those gut feelings that don't go away didn't feel right about it.

The truck has been on the dealers lot for atleast 6 months to a year the truck has a deck that has a used flatdeck put on the truck the U bolts are not even rusty. The 4R100 transmission still bothers me ya you can have it built but it is still a 3spd overdrive transmission. That 3-4 grand could be used for something else.

Some good info I found out that my truck to put my mind to ease and it is a 6spd is a bad combination with a 6.0 I'am not the only one with the powering out problems. The 6.0 needs the torqshift to build some boost to get the truck rolling. A standard transmission doesn't provide that. It is why I have problems when I put a load on my truck and its very tough to get moving. It is also a part of the traction problems.

One of my biggest fears with my F-450 is getting down into a jobsite and power out. Getting stuck is one thing but when the truck powers out you can't move the tires can't even spin. Only takes 2000lbs on the truck grossing 12,000lbs the truck powers out in low gear. Put the truck into Low let the clutch out slowly and try give some throttle it stalls.

So I'am on plan B I do need to get rid of my current truck with the powering out problem is something that is not even tollerable to deal with. The current state of my truck I can't even use it to its maximum potential.

Will start to look for a 05-07 F-450 or 550 2wd with 6.0 automatic. The powering out problem is cured if I find a 6.0 with automatic yes I may have traction problems but there is a solution for that. The cheapest option is a set of tire chains to give the tires more bite.

It might be time to find a cheap skid steer so if the job is in a tough spot the machine can carry the load to the truck or carry the load from the truck to the house.

Homeowner wants 3 yards of gravel and their place as a driveway that is unreasonably steep the only way the material is getting down the driveway is one scoop at a time. They are not going to get a tandem axle down the driveway nor are they going to get a single axle down.

It is at the point with some of these places a load of gravel would slide off my truck backing down the driveway. Even if my truck had a mason dump on it with taller sides the load would shift backwards and right over the tailgate.

The homeowner buys a place that is fit for a mountain goat they can pay extra to have materials delivered or work done.

I'am not paying 10 grand extra for a 4x4 just to save the customer money.

2. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

I think a 350 would do what you need.. I have a 350 P/U with a 7.3 and a 4100 in it and I have no issue powering out... If I i did, i wouldn't have the truck. I think a used NH 665 (i know most people hate old NH SSLs but, for a cheap skid, i wouldnt expect much...) or BC 743/753 would work quite well for you.

3. Gravel Rat

Not enough brakes on a F-350 I want to beable to carry 6000lbs I would even want to beable to carry a skid steer on the truck. I could take the skid steer to the job on the back of the truck drop it off and go get the material.

A trailer would work but I couldn't tow a trailer with a skid steer and carry a load of gravel too much weight for the hills.

One of the landscaping companies have a F-550 that they carry a T-190 sized skid steer on the back.

Trailers are a pain in the azz especially the car trailers you ground out with them making turns off of side streets or making turns to climb up a hill. Also no place to put the trailer when your on the job its always in the way of other people the live in the area.

As for machine size one of the contractors has a 743 I think that is the size he can move it around behind his half ton that would be a good size for me.

4. DeereMan85

DeereMan85 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Good luck getting up and down the steepest hills in the universe with a 743. I thought even an excavator had trouble around there?

5. Shrekish

Shrekish LawnSite Member

I must of missed the post where your mommy gave you permission to buy a truck. And the saga continues

6. Gravel Rat

All I have to do is go straight down and back up. A wheeled skid should beable to accomplish that. Doubtfull I would beable to go bucket first up the hill with a empty bucket.

Most of the steepest places are paved or concrete roads after the house is finished.

7. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

seems like your whole theory has changed...

8. Gravel Rat

I'am not going to damage my truck getting in and out of these places. Use a machine to bring material in or out.

Is it better dealing with blown hubs and transfercase problems or leave the truck in a easy spot and use a machine to carry the material/debris out.

9. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 6k worht of wood in my 350. It had no issue. But, it wasn't in the Steeepass range, British Columbia,Canada. it was in the flatlands of the US.
    And didn't you say the 450 had the fron brakes of a 350? you weren't complianing about the brakes on it. AND, I have a pic to prove I had 6K on my truck. Just ask.

10. Gravel Rat

I have been there done that with regular 1 tons not a chance I'am taking anymore if you ever have a accident your done.

The RCMP (police) have portable scales in the trunk of their squad cars so if they suspect your over weight you will get stopped.