No dealer close to me Indiana

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GravelyGuy, Mar 27, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Here is a list of the dealers that I know about.

John Deere Landscapes
    Ten Barger
    Turf Specialties
    Pro Source One

The closest store is an hour or so from me. I just got my license and I only have 5 chemical accounts as of now that I am going to lose if I don't figure something out. I know they will deliver, but not for this small of an amount. I am going to call them tommorow and see what they can do for me, but do you guys think I would be able to go there and purchase everything I will need for atleast the first 2 rounds of my 5 round program. I have $500 set aside right now for this purchase and I should be able to get enough for only 5 accounts.

I have figured out that I am not going to make any money at hardware store prices, so how much cheaper are dealers? I am going to be all granular for now other than spot treatments.

Also, one more thing, it got warm here very quickly and weeds are everywhere. Being that I am unprepared I have not put down any Pre-Emergent yet. Should I still attempt it in the next week or so. Should I just apply Post now?

Thanks a lot to anyone who helps me out. Sorry for the long post. :)
  2. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Call the guys at the Purdue Turfgrass program. Being that you are in town they should point you to someone local. There has to be several dealers in a town that size.
  3. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

I guess I can try giving them a call, but you would think that they would have mentioned any other local dealers when they told us about these. I will try them in the morning. Everyone at the training seminar seemed to be very helpful and just nice people in general so we'll have to see what they say.
  4. patterson

patterson LawnSite Member

Well, depending on square footage, if it's only five accounts, just take a run down here to Indy and you will easily have anough material to get you through the next several months. You're not buying a lot, so dealers won't give you a big discount, but it should be better than the hardware store.

On the north side of Indy you could also try Advanced Turf Solutions. Ameri-turf is located out by Dow Agro. (I don't think they carry much chem though, mostly seed and fert.) You might also try some other turf guys in your area. If they are in the same boat with no dealer, maybe you could take turns making the material run. I know the N.E. Lesco makes deliveries to Laffayette and maybe if there were two or three of you, it would make a delivery worthwhile to them.

As for pre-emergent, you are not too late. It got warm this week, but soil temp. is the key here. As a general guideline, if you have a quality pre-emergent applied before May, you're okay. And those weeds that are popping up? They are annoying, but realistically, not much you can do. You will probably see some curl if you spray them now, but they will grow right back out. Everything is growing UP right now, not really taking the herbicide DOWN to the roots where we want it.

Hope that helps and good luck.
  5. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Thank you patterson. Good idea on taking turns for the trip down. I am sure I am not the only one in this boat right now. Purdue set up the classes at a bad time to build your business the first year.
  6. Darwin

Darwin LawnSite Member

Try one of your local Co-ops. They are in several small towns around Lafayette.

They typically cater to farmers but you might be pleasantly surprised by their prices.

I've used them for 10 years and would be hard pressed to go elsewhere.

If you got any questions..hit me up.
  7. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

With the limited number of accounts, I'd suggest making the trip and buy enough to do the first couple of rounds. Lesco has a good granular product, but I've decided to shop elswhere. Every time I go there we have to play the
    "What's my price today.." game. I buy fert by the pallet and could buy it two pallets at a time. But again, "What's my price today.." One store will call and give you a price qoute on a product and the other store can't match the price quoted. So I have to ask "What's my price today?". Two years ago I bought a pallet for round 1. My price was x$ per bag. I picked up a new customer the following week and needed one more bag.... What do you know? I had a new price! I understand quantity discounts. I understand that I'm a small fish, but why must I always play the "What's my price today.." game EVERY SINGLE TIME?? The product is good and the prices will beat the box stores, thus making the trip worth your while. Just be prepared to play the "What's my price today.." game at Lesco.
  8. patterson

patterson LawnSite Member

I'm with you on the price thing. I get good fert. prices at one Lesco, but higher at another. Seed is another which varies wildly. Of course, it's really not much an issue at the moment being that they have been out of Dimension for a week or so. How do you not have pre-emergent in April? I hate to do it, but I guess I'll have to go shopping.