1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

no dealers

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Trouthead, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Trouthead

Trouthead LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

I want a commercial grade ZTR mower to take care of three acres of grass. The grass is a mix of rye and some bluegrass, that has access to unlimited water and very dry hot Wyoming summers. It does grow fast. The "lawn" was originally a cow pasture, so it is not normal lawn smooth, but it has been mowed by various lawn tractors for 25 years. Cost of a commerical grade zero turn is not the problem, finding a dealer is. We have a John Deere dealer 30 miles a way and a Toro Dealer 150 miles away. What I need is a mower that (1) doesn't break down much , hence the commercial grade, and one that has easy access to parts, i.e. fast factory direct part service. I figure going bigger and stronger will buy me less time in the seat and less problems with breakdown, but I need good part service. I can do the work or get it done locally but I need to be able to get parts.

Any ideas.
  2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is mowing all you are looking to do?

If so a JD with a 60" deck will work fine.

If you plan to do more than mow, maybe you should consider the JD X-series garden tractors or the JD 2210 sub-compact with the diesel engines and hydraulic lift and 62" deck.
  3. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

I'd go with the Deere as well. Stay very far from the Toro.

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Hmmm Easy To Work On? Commercial Grade....parts Are Easy To Get? Sounds Like An Exmark Lazer To Me. Toro Is Notorious For Oddball Breakdowns / Primadonna Dealerships. John Deere Parts And Service Is Expensive And In My Opinion The Units Themselves Are Overpriced . The Jd Ztrs Just Dont Have The Performance Of An Xmark Or A Hustler Super Z.........my Other Choice.
  5. Trouthead

from Wyoming

Mowing only, drive is too long and we get too much snow to move with a lawn tractor. My plowman uses a full ton Dodge Diesel. I want to spend less time mowing and more time fishing. Ease of getting parts i.e. no backorders in July for a breakdown is important.
  6. Redneckn

Redneckn LawnSite Senior Member

If Deere is that close. I would still say go with the Deere. I don't know what it's like there, but here, Deere gets parts by 8am next day as long as order is in before 3pm. On most everything.
    Sure, the mowers may be a little overpriced. The parts may be a little overpriced. But, both dealers I worked for back in Shreveport were $10-$15 and hour cheaper than any other shop in town.
    We also sold Hustlers. They make a fine machine. But parts take a little time to get if dealer doesnt stock.. If you even have a dealer close by.
  7. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

Well, I gotta give you credit, you're certainly trying to find options. I'd never dream of a product that was 2 hours away for the nearest dealer.

Worried about parts and service? Find out how many dealers are in that 150 mile radius. I'll bet quite a few deere dealers.

I've yet to find a Deere owner that didn't like a speciality deere dealer product. There have been a few snoozers, but....

I'm was thinking it was deere vs hustler, but I wanted a smallish unit w/23" tires. It seems to me hustler doesn't have such a thing, while the 737 seems to fit the bill nicely. Not really any larger then the 727 with a equal sized deck, fast, and I like the idea of the formed 7 iron. I think it will flow better.

Of course, in your shoes I'e be thinking diesel...
  8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Im on my second year with my deere 737, I love it, had one break down on one of my biggest accounts, called the dealer on my cell, told them what happened (mule belt tensioner pulley broke off) said come on in, by the time i got to my dealer he had pulled a new machine in and raped the part i needed off of it, he then informed me that the replacement part that was ordered is a improved cast iron part and that i would need to get the new one installed the next time i was in the area. they called the next day to let me know it was there. what great service. i wasn't there for 10 miniutes for my repairs nd was headed back to my customers lawn, oh ya, bought new blades and a set of spare belts while i was there.
    i don't care what anybody says, deere service is tops!!
  9. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Call Deere overpriced if you want, but 10 years down the line, that Deere will still be going, and parts will still be available, while that Exmark will be nickel and diming you to death, possibly sitting in your back lot or on the scrap metal pile because of not being able to find parts.

Just a piece of good info. JD guarantees to carry parts for EVERY piece of equipment made since Jan. 1, 1975. And they still carry 90% or so of parts for equipment made before 1975.
  10. Trouthead

from Wyoming