No directions...HUH?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tinman, Mar 9, 2005.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Guy called today about lawn service. Said he had a flier of mine. I say ok , where are you at. He say the town & subdivision name. I know the area but not sure exactly & ask for directions. He says, "you put the flier out, you don't know where I am"? I say I have put out a lot of fliers & just need to know the exact location to give a price. He says again, "you don't know where XXXXX subdivision is"?. Again I say no & he says uuuumm just nevermind & hangs up.
    What kind of moron does not take a few seconds to tell me where his property is?? And no it was not a prank caller I do not believe. Good thing this jerk weeded himself out for me early on in the process.
  2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Consider yourself lucky that this relationship did not go any further. Sounds like a true PITA.
  3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a real jerk like that last year, called for stumps & wanted est.
    I told him i was real busy but would try to get there that night around 8 or soon after, I called him while i was on the way and let him know i would be there about 8:45, he just got all bent and says well i got a friend that will do it. I says ok fine why did ya bother me for then I just hit the end call button.
    I really have'nt decided if he just was trying to find out what to pay his "friend" or if he was being a ass. I kinda think the stumps are still there because he got my number from a 2 year old flyer I left when I saw he had a bout a dozen stumps. I really don't consider him a great loss.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I don't ask anyone for directions anymore, unless I am where I really need them to get somewhere right now. If you have time to look it up on your computer do that. Saves a lot of confusion and trying to write it down or remember. Or getting directions like "well, take a left at where the old mill used to be..." Now if he wouldn't actually give you his address, then I'd say he's a little nuts... I had one of those last fall. wanted an estimate for a leaf clean-up but just wanted if over the phone. I asked their address, since there is no way to give an estimate over the phone and she refused to give me the address! Said she just needed a ballpark figure for a clean-up. I told her that when she decided where she lived to give me a call then. Gahhh, some people...
  5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear ya. thats what I do too.
    map quest is great. :D
  6. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind it could be the competion calling......
  7. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. If he's already a PITA just imagine working for that prick, no thanks.
  8. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

I had a lady that was a friend of client call me about 10 years ago for Snow Plowing. I told her over the phone that I needed to get the street address to give her an accurate estimate. She tells me NO I can't tell you where I live ;)
    I was like wow well I cant give give you an estimate then. After about 2-3 mins of arguing with her about giving an estimate without seeing it she finally gives in. I have been doing her driveway ever since. It is just funny how some people are. I think that she was scared of me or something.

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have people call often wanting an estimate over the phone- no way not unless its a property I pass often and recognize and I can picture it all in my head, even then I'd rather look at it in person.

There is this one customer of mine, little old lady, doesn't have much money, and she has always been kinda goofy about making sure I don't give her phone number to just anyone. I have asked her once or twice about using her as a reference and if that would be ok, and she acted kinda goofy about it. She was like well give them phone number but no name, or I'll call them so they don't have to have my number. She doesn't live in the nicest neighborhood and I think she's afraid someone may bother her. She also doesn't realize caller ID would kinda make her calling the potential customer a useless pursuit, but I assured her that she would not receive any calls or visits from any potential customers. I then just kinda didn't ask to use her as reference again because I didn't want her bothered worrying about it.
  10. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

WTF?!? Then how did she expext you to plow her driveway? People are nuts.