1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No Entry!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProCare Lawn Service, Jun 16, 2005.

1. ProCare Lawn Service

ProCare Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Anyone ever driven their rig down a driveway they could not get back up? Just curious. Had a couple of workers get into that situation. Took a lot of thinking and good maneuvering to get truck and trailer out. Unload lawn mowers, unhook trailer, get truck out, use long chain to pull trailer out, etc.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What are you talking about, with surge brakes, or something? I've heard of this happening. They are supposed to have a controller to release for this type of condition, but I guess there are some and some older ones that don't.
  3. ProCare Lawn Service

No, talking about someone taking their lawncare rig down a driveway that is too steep to come back up pulling the trailer. Like maybe the drive is slag, or It has rained while you were down there and the drive is now slick, etc. See what I mean?
  4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

surge brake would not activate when going up hill.

if you couldn't get the truck and trailer up the drive way then you need more power :D
  5. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

That must really suck. Did the truck not have enough power or the tires just didn't have enough traction to pull it up? Also, you park in your customers driveways? I've thought about that for a couple accounts but never did it yet.
  6. ProCare Lawn Service

Doesn't need more power, it has plenty. It is 2000 GMC Sierra extended Cab that needed new tires. The slip traction did not help much. Not 4 wheel drive. Plus the drive was steep with loose slag and there was not enough room at the bottom to get a running start. Really don't know what the guys were thinking when they drove down there. Maybe they weren't. ;)
  7. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

I pull K turns with my 14x5 enclosed daily :cool2:
  8. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I never go down an alley or steep drive that I didn't walk first.
    Second #1 reason I buy 4x4 so that you can put it in 4 low and creep up the incline.
    third even with bald tires it is a matter of weight distribution. Need more weight over the drive tires to give more traction.
    4th IF there is loose gravel and such to prevent traction get out blower and pull cord.
    5th Make sure you hire inteligent workers.
  9. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

buy a 4X4 and put it to the floor
  10. ProCare Lawn Service

- I wasn't there as I know not to go down that drive.
    - Not enough funds starting out to purchase a 4X4
    - The whole drive was loose gravel, fresh slag. No pavement whatsoever.
    - Everyone is entitled to a brain fart every now and then. Smart people do stupid things sometimes.