No excuse for no insurance

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tharrell, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I got my insurance today. I had to because I got some commercial accounts. I know I should have done it sooner but after reading most of the posts on here, I was afraid I couldn't afford it. Well my friends, I got 1 million for $204 a year with Farm Bureau(sp?) AND it includes pest! Hey, 100k,200k is only $175 a year. I would encourage EVERYONE starting out to go get it. As I said, there is no excuse. If you're starting out, your volume will be low and it's cheap. Mine won't increase until my volume goes over 17k and as I said to the agent, we'll both be happy when that happens! Go get it.

2. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Very good and I agree with you, the actual cost broken down per day is not a lot of money. We carry $2 million Liability and it works out to $12 a week roughly. How could someone in the business not think its wise.

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Here is an example of why you need insurance. I was doing a commercial lot behind a car lot. I hit a rock with the weedeater. The rock flies like a rocket about 20 ft and hits the back window of a used truck for sale--price tag about 350$ The Manager of the lot said if it had been a new truck then it would have cost over 1000$ to replace. Ya it doesnt cost much for the piece of mind if for nothing else

4. rshofcols

rshofcols LawnSite Member
    from ohio

but you have to have it. I have a million liability on the business and this also covers replacement cost on two lazer Z, a 32,2 21 " hondas and misc equipment.I have fire and theft on the mowers and it runs me around $400.00 per year. I have commercial liability for two men over 35 and no tickets covering a 95 f-150 (liability only) and full coverage on a 05 f-150 w/500 on comp and 1000.00 on collision and that runs me $1500.00 per year and also covers towing a 12 foot trailer

5. rshofcols

rshofcols LawnSite Member
    from ohio

the mowers are all exmarks and all brand new

6. wheeling22

wheeling22 LawnSite Member

[, I got 1 million for $204 a year with Farm Bureau(sp?) AND it includes pest! Hey, 100k,200k is only $175 a year.

Where do you live that you can get insurance that cheap ? I called many companies and the lowest was $2000.00 a year. I have a very small Lawn Care company that my son and run, Since he is 17 nobody wants to insure us.
    What is the FARM BUREAU ?

thanx,

Lorne

7. richmadmax

richmadmax LawnSite Member

Yes insurance sucks, but you need it. What would happen if you hit some thing or hurt somebody. Where would you be if they sue you? Up the creek without a paddle. a million dollar insurance for what $200. 00 or little more. Not having insurance is dumb and cheap. THINK ABOUT IT.

8. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

So is this just considered a business insurance?

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I think you would have to be awfully stupid not to carry insurance. Period

10. richmadmax

richmadmax LawnSite Member

Liability insurance. It is so important to have and so easy to get. don't be stupid. Take a little time and i mean little time to get it.