no experience

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by B&B LAWN, Apr 10, 2004.

1. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

OK guys i get a call from a potential customer yesterday and she wants me to put down fertilizer and weed killer on her lawn. Isnt it a little late for this? But this isnt the real problem, i really dont have any experiece in this field. Most of my my clients have always had someone else come in and fertilize there yard. What I'm needing from you guys is some guidelines and tips on how to fertilize a yard and what to put on the lawns at what times. How can i get it spread evenly? What are resonable prices? Should i warn this potential customer ahead of time that i dont really have any experience in this field?
  2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Id find a pest control company you can recommend. And have them recommend you.
  3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

perhaps you'd be better off to sub it out
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You need to be licensed in your state to be allowed to apply pesticides.
    So.... you shouldn't even attempt this. Be honest, tell the customer that you aren't licensed to apply, and offer to find them a legitimate applicator that has experience in this field.
  5. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Before I started offering lawn treatments I had a Lawn Care Co that I referred out and they referred me for mowing. It was a great deal for both of us but It was way better for me. I would get calls just about every day from their referrals during the spring and early summer.
  6. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

If you're in this for the long haul, You'd be better served by just going through the motions of getting your license and doing the app's yourself, You'll make more $$ and be able to offer a more complete package. From reading many of the posts on here; It seems as if many of the bigger, more successfull guys do both as well. I find it very rewarding to just fert a yard and leave an invoice. This advice, of course, doesn't help you with the dilemna right now-My advice is to refer this one out and really get on the licensing-You'll learn a few things that will help on the maintenance side in the process
  7. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Listen to grassredneck..............He knows his biz.

8. B&B LAWN

B&B LAWN LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for all the replies guys. So the best thing for me to do would just tell the customer that i dont have any experience and try to refer her to someone?
  9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

And then go and get your license.