1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No fert this fall???

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Organic a go go, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Heretical I know.

Now Im not talking about all my accounts. But my four oldest accounts, all organic at least three years, look much much better than their neighbors or my newer accounts. Much better. Growth is much more vigorous and the green is suprising even to me. These are all lawns that get a lot of leaf mulch this time of year, more so than my other accounts.

In any case Im thinking of foregoing a fert app for them this fall. All the po's are tickled to death and I'd love to tell them that the years of going organic are starting to pay off, just pass that fert savings on to them. Its a hit in the wallet though.

I haven't read anything about fert apps breaking down leaf mulch more quickly but that's my only concern.
  2. cudaclan

cudaclan LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

And there you have it. I say no need, even with the carbon (leaf) added. I normally squirt some blood meal for N. The earthworm activity during Spring will aid in aerification and soil composition.
  3. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

Yeah that's my thought. Im all over the 'burbs and Im the ONLY guy I've seen yet not paying a crew to load leaves onto a tarp and throw them in the back of their truck. It's just such a waste. I do compost some and on one property in particular with many large trees I compost and spread leaves as mulch into the beds but most just go into the lawn. I haven't had anybody complain about the look ever. In fact the other day one of my new accounts asked when I'd be shredding the leaves over the lawn, she's been concerned about how it'll look. Told her I've been doing it already for weeks. They had no idea.
  4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

also the blood is one great chelating agent loads of Fe and other metals that the plant needs, like boron, we just got 3000 gallons of " horse blood " its not really horse blood but that's what we call it. smells like a tattoo parlor
  5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Great, now I know what a tattoo parlor smells like. Thanks tree! :)

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i know what horse blood smells like and i just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about a tattoo
  7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of mower are you using for maximum leaf break down when mowing? Toro 36-52" WB with recycler add-on under the deck? Just Gator blades?
  8. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

well i did not get this ink in church.LOLOL

we use the Dixie chopper to shred all the time!! cut the hedge and run the Dixie to rake haul and mulch all in one pass, gator blades make all the difference in the world!!! helps if they a Samara sharp
  9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If the hit in the wallet is a concern, what about a tea app? Fall is the best time to build biology.
  10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You do realize of course, that according to university studies and reports from the field tests conducted by agricultural extension agents and the conclusions of "...the Emperor and Tom", that what you have accomplished isn't possible.

If you don't believe me just ask the Fert/Herb forum. :laugh:

If you have been doing the mulching of leaves for years now your biology should be ready to go. Water will be your limitting factor for rapid decomp of the mulched leaves.

Again thanks for the report.