No flat front caster tires

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by troberts, Oct 15, 2001.

1. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

eXmark is supposed to be comming out with front caster tires that don't go flat (i.e. no air).

Are these available now?

Can they be used on older models (i.e. 2000 Metro 48" Fixed/Gear wb - Serial Number 241624)?

Do the tires fit on the existing rims, or are new casters needed?

How much are these selling for, and what part number should I request?

Thanks again for the help,

TMR

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

TMR,

The semi-pneumatic tires can only be purchased as a wheel/tire combo or assembly which will also include the correct bearings, spacer and bushings.

Part number
    p/n 103-2171 semi-pneumatic tire kit $39.00

These parts are available and can be ordered through your local dealer.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Terry

3. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Is this $39.00 per wheel/tire assembly, or for a set of two?

I assume by wheel/tire assembly that you mean: tire, rim, and what is needed to mount it to the existing arm/caster (swivel piece)?

You are not referring to the whole piece that you remove when shuffling spacers (caster spacers) for a different cutting height?

Thanks again,

TMR

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

So its 40 bucks for both wheels with everything? And also, are these kind of soft to absorb shock, or are they real hard like the foam filled ones? I kinda like mine soft.

5. eXmark

Sorry guys,

I guess I could have given you a few more details.

The kit includes one wheel/tire/wheel bearings/spacer or axle. You'll need to order two kits from you local dealer for each machine you plan to update.

The tire itself is a little bit different. It has a heavier sidewall, similar to the run flat tires you see on cars. The smooth tread section is thicker as well. The strength of the rubber is what actually suspends the mower rather than air pressure with in the tire.

The tire itself is cut during the mounting process, then stretched around the wheel and glued back together. For this reason we only sell them as a wheel tire combination. The equipment just isn't available locally to have these tires mounted by your local shop. We've found that these tires last a great deal longer on our test track than what a pneumatic tire will and NO flats.

Ironically we've also found that these tires also do a much better job of absorbing impacts than do pneumatic tires. This helps extend the life of the wheels, bearings, caster yokes etc.

Let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

Thanks

Terry

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, I just don't see 80 bucks there. I'll stick with slime, or if I wanted, I'd just take them to one of these aftermarket places that fill them with the foam. The stuff is like the same stuff as foam insulation, or "Good Stuff". MUCH cheaper!

7. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Sorry, but two more questions....

Are these tires the same size as the inflatable ones? (i.e. Does switching to these tires affect the cutting hieght of the mower, or should things be basically the same?)

Does this kit work for all eXmark wb's. Specifically, a 2000 Metro 48" Fixed/Gear wb - Serial Number 241624?

Thanks again,

TMR

8. eXmark

Runner,

The slime works pretty good for most cutters. For some operators in other regions of the country however, slime just can't keep up with the number of thorns that puncture the tire in a given day or week. In other cases maybe an operator overlooks a curb every now and then and hits it at a bad angle causing a bead leak. The slime in some cases will prevent the bead leak from deflating the tire however not always. The associated down time for a flat tire at the wrong time of the year can add up. The amount of down time for front caster leaks in a years time versus potentially zero down time for front caster tires is an $80 question each owner would need to ask himself/herself.

For many owner operators it may not make sense to update an older machine, for others it may be more practical.

In regards to solid foam tires. Solid foam tires are NEVER recommended for any reason. There are several shortfalls with a solid tire whether it is on a front caster or on a drive tire.

One of the problems with a solid filled tire is impact absorption. Your lawn mower only has the suspension of the tires to absorb the millions of impacts that it will encounter in a weeks time. With a solid filled tire 100% of those impacts are now transferred to the machine or the operator. Solid filled tires can, but not always, contribute to failed wheel bearings, bent caster yokes, bent wheels, cracked mower decks, bent frames, etc. Again not all or any of these will happen to every machine but over time solid filled tires can greatly increase the likelihood of these types of failures.

Another shortfall of solid filled tires is the added weight. Not only can this make the front of the mower heavier than what you may like but if used in a drive tire it may also shorten the life of the drive system. More specifically the life of hydraulic components in a hydro walk behind or riding mower. The larger the tire or the heavier the machine potentially the worse the effects can be.

Solid filled tires have a place, generally however a lawnmower may not be the best place. I'm not telling you that you can't run solid filled tires. I just want to be certain that you know the potential downside to doing so. Some operators run solid filled tires for many seasons without any problems, others won't make it through the first month.

COURSE DESCRIPTION: solid filled tires 101............. Please forward your tuition payment to the registrarsÂ’ office before December 31, to receive credit for this class. Terry's school of trivial knowledge, miscellaneous rambling and other misguided gibberish (is that how you spell jibberish? Maybe I should have said gobble-de-goik)

PS: Fred and Lenny are going to really get after me for being long winded now (or full of hot air).

Terry

9. eXmark

TMR,

After my post to Runner I'd better keep this one a little shorter. The new semi-pneumatic tire will fit any Exmark walk behind build with pneumatic tires including your mower. The tire is the same size and is a direct replacement. It will not effect the mower in any manner other than it will actually be a little smoother in rough terrain, never go flat and have a substantially longer life cycle.

Thanks

Terry

10. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

Terry:

Will these tires be standard equipment on the 2002 walk behind models?