No Forward Or Reverse

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mike49623, Jul 15, 2004.

1. mike49623

mike49623 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help I received in changing the fluids. Now I have another problem though--my Ferris 48" mower will not move forward or in reverse. It did before I changed the fluids, but it was slowing down? I did not run the mower for over a few seconds after starting it (since the fluid change). I have started it twice and it wouldn't move either time. Any suggestions? P.S. I have dropped the price to $300 due to this problem. Thanks again.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/774030/ferris00.jpg
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/774030/ferris03.jpg

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You have air in the system. This is what Ferris says to do(I work for a Ferris dealer). Jack up the drive wheels a few inches off the ground. Make sure the free wheel vavle is in drive mode. With the engine at IDLE move the controls full forward and then full reverse. Let the wheels run in forward for about 5 minutes and then reverse about 5 minutes. This should remove all air from the system. Make sure the wheels are off the ground because trying to put a load on the pumps with air in them can damage the pumps. We have to do this everytime we get a new shipment in and when we change the fuild. Good luck

3. mike49623

I'm going to go try it right now. Cross your fingers! Thanks.

4. mike49623

Dang--it didn't work. I saw air bubbles coming out of the plastic reservoir, but the tires just wouldn't move. I'm afraid that I may have already burnt something up.

5. mike49623

Bleeding the air did work, it just took about 45 mintues. I had to keep tilting the mower back and forth to work all of the air out. Also, I did not realize that I had to tilt the mower back onto it's handles to completely fill up the lower chamber. Thanks.

Ferris 48" with Kohler 12hp

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

mike49623 you must of had enough air in there to raise the Titanic. I have never had that must of a problem bleeding any system on any machine. 10 minutes is the most it has ever taken me. I am just glad it does work now. Did you pre-fill the filters on it, I am not sure if yours has filters or not some do some do not. If you pre-fill your filters it does not cause any where near as much trouble. I am glad it works now. Gald I could help.

7. mike49623

Now that I think about it, I hadn't tightened down one drain plug all the way and air was being sucked back in as the air was bleeding out. Once I tightened it, it probably only took 10 minutes or so. It sure was a learning experience--I was sure I had just toasted the transmission. Thanks again.

8. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent posts Fixer.Pre filling the filter is something that is important,but I don't remember it being in my Scag manuel but I think the rep said it at a dealer open house way back when and have always done so with no problems.

9. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

It would be pretty hard to pre fill the filters since they are mounted sideways on the ferris dual drive mowers. Sometimes you just have to jack the mower up and turn the wheels by hand for awhile till they start moving on their own.

10. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

Also make shore the right grade oil replaced, in your manual.