1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice
  1. iowastorm

iowastorm LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Before this new thread is closed, I just want to say this form is fun and very imformative. Hope everyone else feels this way too. But if we're not allowed to enjoy ourselves anymore, we'll just have to take our balls and play somewhere else.

PS Anybody plowing yet?
  2. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ya know it took real balls to just come out and say that.Sometimes when you give someone a "magic" wand they just can't help but seeing if they just can't make something disappear.
  3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Have as much fun as you guys like, just dont trash someone elses thread to do it. It will turn them away. Start a fun thread, and make as many jokes as you like, shoot start a moderators thread and trash me, I just dont want to see a person ask a good question, and then have all of us make jokes all over it.
  4. Alan

Alan Member

I've been here since last Feb or March, not a real long timer, for sure, but I haven't seen so many threads closed. Can't say as I much care for it. I didn't think we needed such a "conscience" to watch over us. As for not getting hits, I have to agree with Storm, and less users translates to less hits, no matter WHAT got them upset enough to leave.
  5. diggerman

from Iowa

My guess is that if it were a little less **** retentive around here more people might enjoy coming back and posting.I think the moderators must get paid by the number of threads.Talk about a pain reading through fifty threads each only having 3 posts of profitable info or worse yet 50 post of the same thing over and over and at the end of each one everyone patting each other on the back making sure not to make the other feel bad.When I first posted here someone said some thing about "taking me to school" and I just laughed my *** off, now I have learned he lives in a little box and can't see past about 2 or 3 things period and all this crap about learning stuff is stored in the cut and paste section so that it doesn't have to be typed in again and again for each post. I,ll admit I've learned somethings, but much of what I' ve learned is from people having fun here taking about what we enjoy doing .So if you think that people will keep coming back for hour on end to hear just informative drival I think your dreaming, they come here cause its fun.So why don't you holster your wand for a while and enjoy
  6. iowastorm

from Iowa

Dino, nothing personal here. Just having fun. It's just that after reading some of the posts, I am amazed with some of the brown nosing responses. After all, what good is all this if we can challenge the status quo and get a good dialogue going?

PS: When God got going, I though it rallied everyone together to get on his as*. There is a community here, but man, it really needed some personality!!!!

PPS: Please don't edit me.
  7. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with all of these comments, but I can also see Dino's side of the argument as far as new members not knowing that we Eastern Snow Nuts and them Midwestern Snow Nuts, and the Magic Nuts and the other DeIcing Nuts are just having fun with each other. Here's the compromise: stop closing the threads (even if they change subject, because usually the original question gets answered and the changing conversations are usually full of good information) and we'll stick one o' them ;) or :) or other fun faces when we're writing sarcastic remarks to each other.
    Not all of our snow nut friends here are involved in the lawn industry so there's really no reason for them to peruse those forums. This forum has a completely different personality than the other forums and I don't think there's anything wrong with it. However, since I have been visiting Lawnsite (June) I've never seen any threads closed except for when members started cursing each other out, or there were personal (obvious) attacks on other members, until recently at this forum. Many of the threads on those other forums also blossomed into new subjects off topic from the original post, but are never closed. Lets do the same with this forum, because no matter what the subject, we are usually sharing good information with each other, even if we have fun with it.

PS Digger better start studying more, or he's not going to make it to the next grade! ;)
  8. diggerman

from Iowa

Hear, Hear

P.S. huh,when you are 12 making it to the next grade is not important.
  9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

We just have to remember to not use this Forum as a vehicle for flaming others. That can be done in e mail. A little jab here and there in good fun is expected. I too have fell off my chair laughing, spit coffee on my keyboard, and laughed to the point that it hurt reading some of the posts.

Most of us here allow e mail from Lawnsite. Just click on the little e mail icon, and mail a person if what they have said upsets you. As we can all see, flame wars on the forum benefit no one.

At the same time, sharing our opinions have educated many about plowing and more.
    I mean we all have our likes and dislikes, which naturally come out in a place like this. We just have to keep ourselves in check. There are many people who just read here, not even registered, and others who are registered, and don't post at all. Much of what we say is jibberish to them.

All the regulars know what each person here likes and doesn't. Lets face it, when we like something, we talk about it highly, and when we don't we can "rip it up" just the same. We are all above that here, and adults. Let's not get personal. Focus on the facts.

Yes we get off topic often, which as i said before is expected. It happens on all of the forums, not just the Snowplowing Forum. If we try to stay on topic, things should work out OK.

If someone wants to change the subject in mid thread, think about posting it as a new subject instead. Even if it is mostly relevant to the original topic. Start a new one.

Another thing that will help this and other forums here as I have said, is an FAQ.

It will not be easy to create, but it will cut down on rehashing the same topics over and over. When someone asks, we can then reply, "Read the FAQ for the Snowplowing Forum".

We already have one in a sense, since anyone can search this (or any forum at Lawnsite) forum for old topics. It may take longer than starting a new thread, but if we encourage newcomers to do a search, it might cut down on hearing the same things over and over.

Let's get back on track here.

10. iowastorm

from Iowa

I promise to behave from now on. May I recommend that you create another section of the site for naughty people like Digger and me where you can send us for 'time out' when we misbehave.