no future in this business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milo, May 23, 2008.

1. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

if anyone is gonna start a lawncare business this season or next few dont bother.. with the price of gas and where gas is suppost to be next year (over 5.00) trust me this is not a good business to get into. and if the news stations are right saying in 10 to 15 years it will be 15.00 a gallon how in the world will anyone still pay for there grass to be cut at what we will have to charge..

next, the goverment keeps saying global warming and about how we need more resources because oils not it and yet not doing nothing but blaming the people.. why dont our goverment do like brazil and make gas with sugar??????????????????????:confused::confused::hammerhead: 1.00 a gallon and burns clean.. i will tell you why, because some people in goverment making a ton of money out of the oil thing. soon we will be a country like in back to the future 2 where only a few so will have rights and money and the rest will be homeless with nothing and no rights.

2. if you drink more, it really doesn't look to bad.

3. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

Post is right on however. At $4.15 now. Will keep gowing up...next year maybe $7/gallon. The only LCO's that remain are the ones that do high ends for way more than they are worth. I know of one in my area that consistintly got work on $35 lawns and charges $75. It is going to be next to impossible to make money in this business for "most" of us. One thing is the lowballers every bitches about will be all toast in on fell swoop before they even had a chance to realize it. What's next?

The neigbor hood kids with a 21 and a trimmer will get all the biz cause almost no one will pay the necessary prices to make money. And a few that LCO's working their butts off to barely survive.

We should all get together and team up. Pull our trailors with bicycles, innovate "the mower bike" could be a decent product and if you are getting a bad cut, you know the reason...its the bicycle drivin blade belt opperator. Plus we would get in great shape. I'm a genious.

4. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

I don't get it either... We can make fuel out of damn near anything, corn, sugar, bio diesel, etc... Why the hell are we paying big business, and the countries that hate us billions of dollars annually? Damn right something could be done, but think of all the campaign $ and tax dollars that would be lost! Forget the Boston tea party, we need to do something NOW! Why do they charge that? Cause they can. Ooooh congress has talked to them on their prices..That's like talking to me about the problems with strippers, I would listen but this lap dance is awsome!! Time for less talk and more action to be taken!!

5. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks all for the horrible posts suggesting our lives aren't going to work out cutting grass.

I think the gas prices will just weed out the wanna-be's out there and let us real lco's rake it in.

There will always be people/businesses that need there darn lawns maintained. PERIOD..People just don't have the time...I do.

6. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

they might need it done but good luck with them paying you on time or at all. and plus the cost to operate will be soooo high.. i can do simple math,
    if gas is 5.00 a gallon and you get 10mpg pulling trailer in truck and have one yard 5 miles away thats a 30.00 cut well thats -5.00 to get there and back and about -1.00 in equipmant. so 24.00 before taxes for a total of 1 hour of my life.. i could do better getting a real job without the headaches.

7. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

That is why you run your business smarter!!

8. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

I think I am going to purchase an 18 inch reel mower with roller to mow grass with.:laugh::drinkup:

9. The Rookie

The Rookie LawnSite Senior Member

Oh! I almost forgot, a stick edger and a pair of scissors.

10. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

If that's what it takes to remain in business, then how are they charging more than it is worth? If everyone who charges less has their business fail because they couldn't make a profit, then it sounds like they were charging LESS than it is worth.

I see a lot of these complaint threads talking about how this isn't a good business to get into if the economy is going to crash. Exactly what type of business do you think is NOT going to have problems with $15/gal gas prices? I don't think there are very many.