1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No garage - open trailer+storage or enclosed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob_McNaughton, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Bob_McNaughton

Bob_McNaughton LawnSite Member

My new house i'm moving into has no garage. For 10k I can have one built, but I don't have the 10k cash right now.

I'm curious how you other guys handle this? Open trailer, and then store your cutting equipment in a rental unit over winter? Or enclosed trailer, which acts like a garage over winter?

Any thoughts?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The 24' trailer I have, I used to pull and ended up using it as storage for extra equipment and winter storage. I have it at a friends house where I figured it was very secure. It got broken into one winter and I lost all my 2 cycle equipment, about $2000 worth. I now keep all my equipment across the street. I feel a rental place would be more secure, but if you have a secure place to park your trailer, it would save you a lot in rent. It's a 50/50 thing you will have to work out. :)
  3. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

You might consider just building an equiptment shed for storage, much cheaper than a garage.

My dog guards mine. The dog loves me but hates "Strangers in the night"!

Just a thought.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I would just rent a garage. Look for one in the paper. You can take the rent off of your income schedule C. The idea of an enclosed trailer doesn't thrill me. I am constantly on and off of my trailer checking oil, greasing,repairing a wire, something where I need some room. I wouldn't want to do all of that in a box running down the battery with the lights on. Not to mention the extra wear on the truck from the weight. There is also the possibility of someone hooking up and making off with your livelihood!
  5. If you want to forget about snow plowing you could just buy a used Dodge maxi van. They are 12' inside and you can haul two 48" walkbehinds plus a trimming mower and all the two cycle equipment. They make a handy ramp end gate that mounts on the inside just in front of the rear doors. Leave one of the walkbehinds home and add some plastic drums to hold yard waste.
  6. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I have a similar situation and I am getting ready to build a shed in the back yard. I am thinking 16'x16' should do just fine. I have an enclosed trailer that I use now, but it is much easier working off an open trailer. When the shed is built, the enclosed trailer is going.

I am pretty sure I can build the 16x16 shed for between $2000-2500. Run some electric out to it after a while and then I will have lights and a place to work on my stuff out of the weather with "elbow room".

Personally, I like being able to walk outside and open a door and see my stuff. I would be hesitant on renting from a storage area. People store all kinds of stuff in them that could be considered dangerous when it comes to fire hazards.

7. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

We have a 2 car garage with all the mowers 2 plows n salt and everything we are still in need of a shed and are getting one this fall.
    Chopperlover-Theres a place up in lancaster pa that sells a 16'x20' for $2,195 (well im pretty sure its around there), theres no tax and they delivered it free to my neighbor and we are about 45 min away.
  8. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

Wow... That is a great price!

Thanks for that tip on the shed. Could you e-mail me with their number. I am a bit farther away (closer to Frederick) but they may still deliver this far.

9. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer the Enclosed trailer. Everything out of sight of the thieves. U can add an alarm to it also. Plus it's nice to be able to work on your equipment at the jobsite (inside) when it's raining.

The bad thing about an enclosed is it's like pulling a parachute and the longer you have one the heavier it becomes. Because not everything you put on it tends to come back off.:p

To tell you the truth, I'm working on a new trailer for my next crew to use. It will have:
    1. single axle torsion 5800lbs
    2. 14ft long x 7ft wide
    3. tailgate with counterbalance

This will carry:
    21" trim mower
    stick edger
    2 string trimmers
    small tool box
    water jug
    15 gal gas
    Spare tire
    fire extinquisher

This can easily be pulled by a light duty truck. I personally think most trailers are overkill. so I have been brainstorming this Issue for sometime.
  10. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

i use a 20ft enclosed trailer.it works great always get electric brakes.my skidoo's fit really good to