No grass around cabin in the trees

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by guy48065, May 13, 2009.

1. guy48065

guy48065 LawnSite Member

I have the cliche "cabin up north in the woods". Not actually woods--but there's so many trees that not much light penetrates to the ground. My neighbors & I only have a tuft of grass here & there. No need to keep a mower up there :rolleyes:
    Currently my ground cover is dry leaves. If I pick up the leaves then my entire yard is sandy with those sparse tufts of grass. Lots of dirt gets tracked into the house--so I leave the leaves where they lay. There are a couple 'full-timers' in my neighborhood who have a proper lawn but they trucked in topsoil & they water often--not an option for someone who only spends 2 days there now & then.

So my question is...Do I have any options under these circumstances? Looking for ideas.

The geography in question is northern Michigan.

2. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

Enjoy your time at the cabin, buy a door mat, and screw the grass.

3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

rough bluegrass will basicly grow in the dark

4. guy48065

guy48065 LawnSite Member

Will it grow in sand?

5. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

That pretty much sums it up!!

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

There is an indigenious grass that grows in the 'Northwoods'. When you find some, you can always transplant a bit here and there. It grows best in the decayed leaves of the forest floor, so bring it all as a unit.
    Just don't be digging into sandy hillsides to get some grass, then leave it to erode, but I am sure everyone understands that. :)

7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Plant a ground cover like sweet woodruff, or get a mat as suggested! English Ivy would work, but I hate the stuff. Maybe some of these other weird grasses would work, but I have no experience with any grass that grows in shaded sand.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Ground cover is a good option. Myrtle for instance. Or ferns. I don't see anything wrong with matted down leaves --after all it is a cottage in the woods--right?

9. guy48065

guy48065 LawnSite Member

Well I think I'm going to follow capelawncare's advice :)
    I really don't want to care for a real lawn and probably anything else will end up being more trouble than it's worth.

Really my only problem with the dry leaves is the fire hazard. Literally the entire 'block' is covered 2 inches deep. I already had a fire leap from my pit & start a leaf fire--even though I had raked them about 8 feet back from the pit. So now I'm just a little wiser--and paranoid--about another similar accident.

I've made installing a hose bib a top priority on my "to do" list.

10. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

We have a cabin in the southern appalachians. The very last thing I want to worry about during my visits, is a lawn. We go up every couple of months, and I spend about 10 minutes with a sprayer. That handles the weeds and grass until the next visit.