No Great Danes in New Jersey

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by little green guy, Sep 24, 2000.

1. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

This weekend I went to a dealer (not my usual one because he dosn't carry Great Dane), real nice guy though, to get a price on a new mower. The guy said that you can't get Great Dane surfers in New Jersey this year. Does anybody know anything about this, like why, if it's true or whatever. I realy want one. thanks

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Get some input from puys who run these machines, but I've heard some disappointing rumors about Great Danes, Super Surfers especially.

I those their machines were real nice when I ran them this spring.

But the guys I know who run them (Total of 12 machines with 3 different contractors) are beyond disgusted with their new machines.

I'd get a whole lot more info before laying out any money for those.

I'm not an alarmist, but when dealerships QUIT carrying a product, something's up.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I have 2 Great Danes and have had no problems in 3 years. Spoke with my dealer Friday about the Super Surfer, the models he has are the updated ones (9 updates) and he says he has had zero problems with them. I was very impressed with the new model with the 23 HP Kaw, very fast machine.

4. Lazer

9 updates in one year.

I imagine the ones on the showroom floor would be trouble-free. (That's a cut on him, not you, Kirby)

5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

You know what they say, never buy a car or truck in it's first model year, mowers would apply also. If you do, you take a chance. I think 9 corrections is not bad, the automotive industry has the same problems. I do not think the mower manufactures are perfect but I know we expect it.

I have a friend who has 7 Surfers and he loves them, I've mowed with them and they are nice mowers. The dealer who I know, said himself the first new style models were a problem but the new models have been trouble free on the one's he has sold. Someone here (on LawnSite) went and bought a Super Surfer from Whitleys after reading post here, maybe they can give their input.

Ray

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have run the surfer, the guy I worked for has one and it's my favorite machine. I have never used the super surfer though, only the surfer. As for the dealer not having it, he has the other machines, scamper, chariot ect... but he said he can't get the surfer up here this year. He said he' been trying to get one all year but there all down in florida or something like that. There not real popular around here. I only know of 3 surfers in the area. I might just have to settle on a lazer if i can't get one.

7. Guest

i have last years surfer and i love it...i wouldnt say its trouble free...but has been a good mower and made me some money,but i have heard the super surfer has had some big problems,im sure they will get it fixed,and i know they have always backed there machines for me and others around MN,if you cant get one where u live just get one on line at the Alimia.com place...free shipping and no tax,

Good Luck

8. Poplen

Poplen LawnSite Member

I bought the super surfer this summer. I think it's perfect for a one man residential mower. Really gets in & out of tight spots very quickly. My production is up to aprx. 90,000 sf in 6 hrs. Much better than my 48 wb. No problems as of yet. My hours are part-time and I need every bit of help I can get. I 've heard the horror stories, and maybe that's what keeps my attention on looking for something or being very detail with my maintenance. Right now it has been a real back saver.

9. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought I read in one of the trade mags (I'll try to find the article again) that GD was discontinuing the Surfer or Super Surfer models (if not, it was one of their other models) If that is true,they could be selling the last of what's in stock & that would explain not every dealer having them.

10. Lazer

The regular Surfer (great machine) has been discountinued.