1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No guard on his trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, May 17, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Yesterday I was doing some work next to a property where the 2 guys trimming both had the guards off their trimmers. They were making some nice progress around pine trees and were doing big circles to knock down the long grass. I dont plan on taking the guards off my trimmers but was wondering if any of you do it and given the increased risk of flying stones etc, what it does for your productivity? Maybe I'm missing something but I still have no chipped teeth or other facial scars from timmer debris and I dont want any either. Just was curious what the guard removed does for you
  2. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The 1st thing that I do when I get a new trimmer is remove the guard. It probably is 2 times as quick w/o it. IMHO. Always wear safety glasses!

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

And, it's a lot lighter without that weight at the end of the trimmer. You do get beat up a bit, but that's part of being a professional:D Yes, glasses all the time, and hearing protection, too
  4. JasperStorm

JasperStorm LawnSite Member
    from WA

I'll second SJR.

I store away my guards for use only when weedeating tall weeds in large areas, so I can quickly bump the head to advance the line to the correct length.

When trimming lawns, the speed and accuracy of the edging without the guard far outweighs the occasional rock up the nose/ cut lip.

If the lawn you are edging has too many rocks or sand on the border, you can just switch the way you hold the machine, walking backwards with the shaft horizontal, placing the head further back. It's slower and more of a workout, especially on hills.

If you see workers with scarred faces trimming without guards, consider that the scars may be from meth abuse, not flying rocks.
  5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

hmmm....maybe I need to reconsider. I have one property where I have 1.5 hrs of hand trimming down over a bank. without the guard on this might be allot easier. So when I need more line bumped out do you just get out the trusty Leatherman and snip off to the diesired length?

I find I get hit around the mouth more than the eyes...I see a face shield in my future....without the stupid helmet if I can find one locally
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried using mine without a guard but there were two problems.
    1. You get beat up (to many cut lips).
    2. The string will advance too far and cause problem unless your using pre-cut line.

My soultion was to make a custom bracket extension which moved the guard back a few inches. It misses very little and can still trim the line for me.

7. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a edgit and it works very well. You can still have a longer string and the edgit kinda works as a rock deflector so you just get hit in the legs and not so much in the face. Use safety glasses.
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You're doing something wrong. If you start out at a good length, the line will only get shorter, it can't get longer. As is gets shorter just bump the head. Also, with patio, sidewalks, driveways and belgian block around, you can always trim down the length in just a second or two...........
  9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Guards off. It is such a pain in the azz to trim under any thing with the guards on.
  10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I already have so many scars on my legs from rocks, I don't think I could stand any more. And I did get a "rock up the nose" just two days ago. Ouch.

The weight savings would be nice, but what's the problem with the guards? With years of experience, I have no problem knowing where the line is. But I do see a lot of them removed.

But on my Echos the line cutter is mounted to the guard anyway, and I tried and didn't like the fixed line heads.