no, i dont need a spring cleanup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 5, 2003.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

how many have heard this one, " no, i dont need a spring cleanup, just do the lawn cutting, start when u r ready." They dont need a cleanup, but when u go to do the first cut there are leaves on the lawn, sticks, branches, etc. normally id say screw it, run over it and go, but the large branches damage the blades. so what do u do?

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Had that problem with a few customers last year. I just explained that to mow over all of the debris is alot of work and wear and tear on my machines therefore it would not be the same price as a regular mowing. I also explain that a spring clean-up can really help the apperance and the overall health of the lawn and landscape.

3. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Banned

No clean-up, no contract. See ya later. I am solo so I reqire all my clients to have spring clean-up, weekly maintenance, and fall clean-up. Plus at least 3 fertilizer apps. at minimum. Otherwise it's not worth it for me. Plus their lawn will look like crap and make you look not so good to other potential clients. In other situations it may be worth keeping the acct. if it's right next to some you already do.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

bobby

I tell them I am not going to intentionally damage my equipment by running over crap that has fallen into their yard from the winter storms and wind. Either I will clean up the yard or they will have to before the first mowing.

Case closed.

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I have it specified in the contract that a spring cleanup must be done either by me or by the customer before I will start mowing. Go with the explanation given by Rodfather and hopefully that will make sense to the customers.

Gravely_Man

6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I charge it in their bill! It is very disrespectful to have a pile of crap all of the yard when you show up to cut and they expect this as part of the cutting process. It's just as bad as not cleaning up after the dog.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The decision as to whether or not the winter debris gets removed by us or them is up to the client this I agree with. I also agree with Rod that they should be givenm a date when services are to begin rendering and if this timeframe is precluded because they dont have the turf areas ready for svce, then I simply add up the weeks missed until we get to mow and its added appropiately.

I have an agreement with a set number of cuts and I am going to bill for those cuts. If they refuse, yes you can get burned -- but they will have to stay with another LMO or pay double the rates to get us back.

Truth is most clients have it they just like to try to hold on to as much of what they have agreed to give away as possible.