no idea

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by garth1967, Jun 18, 2005.

1. greeneakers04

greeneakers04 LawnSite Member

I have always read IMHO as "In My Honest Opinion". Funny how people see things different ways.

2. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

Am I a scrub? I just started this season part-time with hopes of making a little extra money. I currently service 10 lawns, looking for more, and do not carry insurance or a license. I will pay taxes as my start-up expenses will nearly match what I make. I don't touch any chemical, just refer customers to the yellow pages and take the risk of no insurance due to the low customer base that I have and the fact I am solo and responsible for my actions. Just curious, so let me know your opinions.

3. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

As far as I can tell, if you're not Fareway, you're a scrub.

You really ought to have insurance, though. One lawsuit and you're through. Not just your business, you. 1 year worth of liability insurance costs less than a 21" mower.

4. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

there is no license here in idaho for lawncare.

go to the state and get a dba. at the bottom of this page is the dba app.
    http://www.commerce.utah.gov/cor/CorpDBA.htm

then call your insurance agent. tell him you are starting a lawn business and want insurance. either they do business insurance, or they will refer you to someone who will.

when they ask you how long you have been doing it, say 4 years.

in idaho the proprietor doesn't have to pay workers comp. but pay it for all your subs and employees because a broken window might hurt you, but a broken person will cost you a LOT of money. if you pay for teh workers comp, a broken person will be taken care of. I paid workers comp before i had liability insurance. now i have both.

hope this helps.

5. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

thank you for the information, I was half expecting criticism but got useful information, especially the website. I will give my insurance agent a call.

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes you are a scrub...When I started my company 14 years ago, the first thing I did was to incorporate and the second was to get insurance. This was before any clients were signed up or any sales calls had even been made.

7. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

first thing i did was buy a mower.

:waving:

incorporating for a small business is an unneeded expense for most folks. A simple LLC has almost all the benefits, without most of the headaches.

just MHO.

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Costs are about the same. Since my company also was dealing with pesticides, and I sit on the board of all the other family companies, we wanted to further insulate my personal financials and the companies.

Buying the mower was the last thing I did.

9. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

Lo Baller? booo

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

scrub is a derogatory term, or an insult.