1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

No $ in cutting lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by troblandscape, Sep 4, 2003.

1. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

It seems to me the only people who are making money in the lawn cutting bussiness are the ones who aren't insured or not paying taxes. I can't wait until I can fill up my schedule with landscaping and paver jobs, so I can just give my lawns away.
    I look forward to showing up to one property,staying there for a few days, getting paid and getting out, only dealing with one customer a week, instead of 110 customers a week,.. crying that one of my guys drives too fast on the mower.... I can't wait till I can stop cutting lawns.. I use to love it, but the overhead is too much for for the pay. The real money is elsewhere guys. But mowing lawns will get your name out for bigger and better things.
  2. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

also keep in mind that some over head costs in parts of the country are not the same or not necessary in other parts...
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, (and I mean this kindly) like I just told someone in another post, If you don't like this type of work GET OUT!
    You might as well be happy in the type of work you're doing, so sell your accounts and lawn equipment, and don't look back.
  4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

It is an endless battle, but it's also consistent money coming in.
  5. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

1. The title of your thread is inaccurate, but it will pull in some views AND replies. There is money in cutting lawns, but you have found it's not for you. OR perhaps you are not up for the disciplined task of providing a service.

2. Your viewpoint is subjective. I enjoy maintenance and the challenge that is inherent, keeping customers satisfied. I am working with a friend now, came out of Corp. America, and cant wait to start.

If your suggesting that you have 110 customers a week and you dont make $$$$$$, then my friend, your doing the right thing...stick to the paver jobs.
  6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

nah aint no money in this stuff. get on out,, to something u can make big bucks in.
  7. GLAN

GLAN Banned

What other services do you provide other than just cutting grass?

What your business is, is what you make of it. What money you make from it is of your own doing. What problems you perceive to be is in your own head.

I think you can see where I am going here.

Good Luck to you..........
  8. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I think the best part about the lawn business is that you dont have to go out and give estimates all the time. You go look at a lawn one time and give a price, and then you mow that lawn for years on end. In the spring i give a billion estimates on landscaping work and it keeps me busy almost every night of the week. But the lawns are there every week in and out, no questions asked.
  9. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

I like the lawn maintenance gig. I't good steady money. You know just how much your going to make and how long it's going to take. Year after year.

One downside is the repetition. Doing the same lawns week after week gets old.
  10. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

If your not making money in any aspect of any business then do the smart thing and discontinue that particular operation.
    You can make money if you know the numbers and stick with them. As has been stated from those more experienced than I, it is the business part that is hard, mowing grass is the easy part.