NO it's not for sale..

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Brian Hay, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Brian Hay

Brian Hay LawnSite Member

I sure have been getting a lot of calls for our machine lately. We have a couple newspaper adds running, an adwords campaign and our machine parked next to a busy hiway with big signs on it. Sofar all the calls I'm getting are people thinking I'm a dealer and want to sell it :confused: The sign used to read FOR HIRE...I thought that was clear. Now I changed it to OPERATED RENTALS, that should be a little harder to mistake. The newspaper add says Contractor but same deal with it. All the calls I have gotten off of it are people thinking I'm a dealer. Makes me wonder how many people have seen the machine or adds that have work for it and gone out looking for one to hire because they think I'm a dealer instead of a contractor.

.....:help: ;) Anyone have any ideas? :confused:

001.jpg

2. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Might need to add the word "WANTED" backhoe work,under extreme conditions. For hire "ONLY!!!!!! " .

For references please call????? Will be working in the local area(name of the area)

Have machine will travel !!!!! Might have to put it in under backhoe work in the classifeds .People aren't puting the extreme and excavator togather yet:rolleyes:.

Sure there are other things that other will be able to add.Bigger signs saying "Not for Sale ,just for Hire" the rental thing might confuse some of them into thinking that? They can just rent the machine and them run it.

Sometimes it just hard to get people to understand.You have to just SHOW THEM:weightlifter:!!!!!! Good luck:usflag:

3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Brian, here's an approach to consider adding to your responses. "Is that machine for sale?" seems to be the question (whatever their motivations). You could start out saying you are a skilled operator and are offering your services, but yes....the value of that machine is $230,000 if you would like to purchase it I would accept cash or a cashiers check. You accomplish several things that way: you let them know that your services are valuable with a unique piece of equipment and also may get someone to pay for you to trade up into a brand new machine ( as I recall, you paid $100k for that one) and put some money in your pocket. Stay flexible in your thinking (easy to say, hard to do) and keep promoting........

4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

People do that here too whenever my brother parks something at my place, I get a few "others" that assume that just because it's all neat and shiny that its "For Sale".

5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

well... i thought you sold those machines at first too. maybe a name change? maybe Spyder Hoe Excavating or something along those lines? just an idea..

6. Brian Hay

Brian Hay LawnSite Member

Those are all good ideas and I think RockSet's approach is a good one. I will keep an open mind on selling it but there would have to be some really LARGE dollars offered for us to consider it. Even a new machine is a minimum three month wait and to find a used one in as good of shape as ours is next impossible. Especially at this time of year, used ones and attachments for them are spoken for before they even go up for sale. So if we sold it someone else would be getting established in our area while we try to find another. And they would have a head start from all the hard work we have already put into getting set up here .

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Brian........that's what I am talking about.....large bank, otherwise it is not worth it. If you could sell that for the price of a new one delievered it may be worth it. Just an option. Also, if you were to sell it, get a hefty down pmt. - make them wait 30-45 days while you order your new machine so you are not without for very long. Also, keep hunting for another used one.......I am sure you could broker a good used one pretty easy for a handsome profit.........hopefully selling it out of your work area.