no leaf cleanup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobcatnj, Oct 4, 2007.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

what do you guys do with a lawn that doesnt pay for a leaf cleanup. just cut and leave them?blow them somewhere? what if no woods around if you do blow it?

2. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

You could be like about half the homeowners around here and rake/blow them into the middle of the street...same thing they do with snow:hammerhead:

3. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Not a good idea in some of these self rightous little 'burgs'.

1. Doesn't look very professional.
    2. Could get you a citation from the city. (So can a property owner.)
    3. If you have a local business license, they could pull it, then you've got a problem.

Some of the fellows around here give a final cut date. Say the 1st of November. Until that date they'll just cut/mulch and leave 'em on the lawns.

After that they put the equipment away until next spring and go hunting.

After the homeowner gets tired of looking at the mess and piles of newly fallen leaves, you can make some cash by offering cleanups......at a higher price of course.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, I cut it until it's no longer doable, then stop.
    The regular fee does include some extra, I'll cut it so long I can windrow the stuff into the woods I'm gtg.
    Then once the leaves come down good I have a lot of work...

Only thing is you have to watch come spring they like to call you for 'grass cutting' services, you'll want to be prepared for that.
    On that note, when estimating remember to ALWAYS walk the lawn (or you'll catch one of my or another Lco's left overs lol).
    Leaves are hard to see from the road come spring, they like to embed themselves down in there, but once you walk it you will see.
    Run from those or quote high enough to include ALL work, and pay upfront.
    Then I quote some over top of that for my having to run an OFF season machine as well, but that's just me.

5. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

i just have this one pain in the ass thats thinks im picking up her leaves on her lawn when i cut the grass for the same price as a mow. i told her you dont recieve the fall cleanup so im not bagging the leaves. she told me in response everybody bags it. good for you i was thinking get everybody else then

6. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 acccounts that will not pay for leaf clean up so I cut the grass as if they are not there.... It is not my fault that they will not pay the extra.

7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

If they don't want a clean up I will cut as usual until the grass stops growing, leaves or not.

8. Phaneuf

Phaneuf LawnSite Member

Indeed, if a costumer doesn't want to pay for a leaf cleanup, I just chop them up in the lawn. I actually never bag anything. My fall cleanup includes blowing leaves from flower beds, decking, patios, and those little nooks around the property, for an additional fee of course. Once blown I just mulch em up. It takes a little longer but I pull nothing off a property, thus saving myself from dumping fees, gas consumption form hauling that debri around town and no need for a two thousand dollar bagger. Besides, its better for the lawn and more economical I think.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Why stop when the grass stops growing if there is still leaves to clean up? We have a lot of properties that we just keep on doing the yard and it is mainly for leaves and weeds.

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If they won't pay to have it done just keep mowing to chop them up but if they get to thick it can be hard on mower. If they have picky neighbors it won't be long before they start complaining about all the leaves blowing in their yards. If they won't pay you to come and just chop up the leaves leave them there until next spring and tell customer they will have to be removed in the spring or the lawn will die.